KIT design

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

KIT design

Postby Draygo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:32 am

howdy,

Im currently working on a KIT design in Google Sketchup based on my tear drop, but before I get too involved, are there any specifics that I should know about or add to the drawing? Id like to upload it for anyone to be able to download and change to their own specifications...

thanks!

Amy
Draygo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: KIT design

Postby pohukai » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:18 pm

I did mine in google sketchup and tried to do the following:

1) Put things into groups like the they are in real life; e.g. I used 2x4's and each is a "group" and not a 6 side box. I found this to be helpful in building, getting the raw materials etc.
2) Groups of groups allows you to massively move or rotate objects; like the rear hatch. You can pivot the hatch along the hinge line.
3) Common surfaces between mating parts are often combined unless each is a separate group. e.g. where the floor surface meets the framing; there is a common surface where the glue might be.
4) Place things in appropriate layers. I liked the ability to turn on/off layers to see things.

I tried unsuccessfully to layout wire runs. I haven't seen a good way in sketch up to do this easily.

That's what I did, but do what you think is appropriate. I eliminated a lot of errors in my build by doing it in sketch up first.

Jim
pohukai
Teardrop Master

Return to Sketch up designs