tiny 5th wheel

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

tiny 5th wheel

Postby cooterdude » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:40 am

OK so i have been lurking on the site for awhile and have been coming up with ideas on what kind of camper would best suit my needs
i have decided that a 5th wheel layout will be the best for me

here is my design i threw together with ms paint please don't laugh its my first time using it
any feed back would be greatly appreciated and any sketch up gurus that know how to shrink sketch up files to the required size
if you can tell me how i have a couple more designs i did in sketchup to show you guys
Attachments
0501st_05_z+1994_chevy_s10+left_side_view.jpg
0501st_05_z+1994_chevy_s10+left_side_view.jpg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
cooterdude
Teardrop Inspector

Re: tiny 5th wheel

Postby jeffmutch » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:14 am

I like your thinking, but you'll need more clearance over the cab of the truck if you want to drive anywhere not perfectly flat.

It might be an aerodynamic nightmare having such a space between the two, but it needs to be done to avoid disaster.

Good luck and keep us updated! :thumbsup:
Those people that constantly need a pat on the back to feel proud of thier accomplishments typically don't go very far...
jeffmutch
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:26 am

First off, I am not an Engineer. But I have seen them on Television. I like your idea, but my concern would be the weight of your project. If you are pulling with an S-10 you may exceed the safe limit of it's towing ability. If it was my project I may eliminate the part over the cab. That is just me. If you are able to figure the expected finished weight it may answer these questions. Also that is a lot of area on the sides to catch wind. Good luck with your project and keep us informed!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jeff0520 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:51 am

The weight issue might be overcome by going with foamie construction.
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby cooterdude » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:05 pm

its just a rough sketch to get an idea of how it looks ill work on dimensions and clearance when i have sparks flying its going to be a lightweight build using a 1"square tube exo skeleton i have a couple of old full size truck ladder racks that i will be using for the frame of the body still in the planing stages but once i can find out how to shrink sketch up files i can show you some pictures in more detail my files are like 2200 kbs it wont let me upload them to the page for some reason the s10 is a strong lil beast 4.3 l vortech with a 5 speed its the same engine used in 1/2 ton pickups :twisted: i figure i can add a small 1 ton rear end out of a Toyota to it if it needs it
the upper part over the cap is the bed so i cant realy take it off the section over the bed of the truck is the kids room and the lower part wil be galley /head eating dining
cooterdude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby danlott » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:25 am

You can downsize your SketchUp files considerably by going to the "Windows" tab in SketchUp - click on "Model Info" - click on "Statistics" - click on "Purge Unused" then click on "Fix Problems".

That should clear out all the unused stuff in your SketchUp files.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 pm

in regards to the weight issue what if you went with a tandem axle
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby cooterdude » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:20 am

again i don't think weight will be an issue my truck is rated for towing 5000 lbs with a 1500 max weight in the bed
About the 1994 Chevrolet S10
The Chevrolet S-10 is a compact truck that was produced by the Chevrolet division of General Motors from 1982 to 2004 for U.S. consumers. The S-10 stood as a compact alternative to the full-size C/K pickups, offering owners better fuel efficiency and a more manageable size. The S-10 offered a vast array of configurations and options. However, in the last year of production, the S-10 was reduced to a single trim level – the four-wheel drive Crew Cab LS.

The S-10 came with two engine choices. Lesser trims were often paired with the 2.2-liter 4-cylinder engine with multiport fuel injection. This engine produced 120 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 140 pound-feet of torque at 3600 rpm. The 4.3-liter Vortec V6 was the more popular and powerful option, with 190 horsepower at 4400 rpm and 250 pound feet of torque and 2800 rpm. Customers had to choose between a 5-speed manual transmission and a 4-speed automatic transmission with overdrive. Depending on the configuration, standard towing capacity stood between 2000 pounds and 5200 pounds. Maximum payload capacity ranged from 1000 pounds to nearly 1500 pounds. Fuel economy also depended on the configuration – EPA estimates range from 22 miles per gallon in city driving and 28 miles per gallon on the highway with the 4-cylinder and 5-speed manual to 14 miles per gallon and 18 miles per gallon respectively with the four-wheel drive, 5-speed manual and Vortec V6.

this truck tows my 18 ft lund adventurer wit a tandem axle trailer like nobody's business its a 1/2 ton pickup in a compact package
cooterdude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ned B » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:12 pm

just for good measure, look around on line for a 21' or a 22' shadowcruiser brand 5'er. I had a 27' at one time, but that's a bit too heavy for your little S-truck.

I towed a unit similar to this one with an F150 with a 5.7l v8. On another forum I frequent they always say 'getting it moving isn't the issue, getting it to stop Is...'
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby FastEddie2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Have you looked up "Scamp" fifth wheels. They are little fiberglass ones made for towing behind s-10's and rangers and other compact pickups. They look pretty roomy too. More just like a travel trailer with a little extension. Might be able to use it for some inspiration.

There is always this type of thing too.
FastEddie2
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Sketch up designs