design submission for comment

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

design submission for comment

Postby Kurt301 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:39 pm

Tear Drop.jpg
Tear Drop.jpg (29.58 KiB) Viewed 2828 times

So Im contemplating building one of these great little bedrooms on wheels and one of the most important things to me, due to my geographical location is an Air Conditioner.

My inlaws have a 36ft triple slide out beheamoth and most of the time we will be acompanying them. My purpose is to build my wife and I, a shuttle pod simply to accompany the mothership.

My intentions are a simple build using an RV style galley hatch much like Parnold did with the Wonderlust.
viewtopic.php?t=35787

It will likely never be used outside of a powered campgound so all electrical besides driving lights will be 120v

the only significant design changes are that it will be a 5X8 vs Parnold's 4X8 and I would like the A/C mounted in the front on above a trailer box that will store small propane tanks for the portable stove.

My equipment will consist of a portable propane stove, cooler, a couple of lanters and a commercially bought canopy.

I am looking for opinions on the design itself, rather than doing a curved design I wanted to keep the surfaces a little more flat instead of doing the classic benroy curve. I am hoping this will make mounting the A/C in the manner that I would like to a little more convienient,

Thank you to those that chime in.
Kurt301
Teardrop Inspector

Re: design submission for comment

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:20 pm

Welcome to the madness :?

Are you going to be able to see out of the window in that location? Maybe put smaller windows in the doors where you will be able to see out of them while sitting up, and/or smaller windows near the pillows where you can look out while laying down?

The idea of having bigger windows seems like it should make the space feel bigger inside, but if they are at your knees and you can't see out of them anyway, then the effect will be lost. Smaller windows where you can look out of them naturally makes more sense to me.

Also, you may want to shift the doors back a little so that they are centered on your rump when laying, pivoting up/down, and/or sitting in the door way.

Often times it is a good idea to build a cardboard mock-up and go thru the motions of trying to live in the space.

Other than that it looks like a good start to me.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:06 am

I put an a/c on the front of one of my builds. It always leaked in the rain. :(

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:54 pm

basically good design. Window is found most often in the door. In part so you know what or who is out side before you open it. this leaves you with more wall space for coat hooks, side lights and other things.
You might look at making the air part of the box but first you need to look at it's weight. Will you have something to counter balance it in the rear. What are you pulling with is it a truck or a car.

You could put the air in the bottom of the box putting in extra vents in the side doors for it. and the cool air could ride up on a conduit and come out the top front of the trailer cooling down the hot air that is hanging up there. will you have a hatch and fan. You do not want the air coming out at your head. Look around go to the top of this page and go to custom google search enter in "air conditioner location' or the like.

We just use fans one hangs from the ceiling
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Return to Sketch up designs