Curbside
Attachments
slant nose 5x9 #2=.jpg
slant nose 5x9 #2=.jpg (60.56 KiB) Viewed 5587 times
lilgription
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Not really a new design but its the one I'm going with

Postby angib » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:44 am

Remember that the flat back galley looks simple, but you end up with the back end of the roof just where your forehead (or teeth) wants to be when you're using the galley. Plus you need to leave enough clear height from the worktop that a stove won't set fire to the roof.

A cranked galley 'hatch' that's vertical below the worktop and gently raked forwards above the worktop is maybe the easiest 'hatch' that doesn't have these problems.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby lilgription » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:18 am

angib wrote:Remember that the flat back galley looks simple, but you end up with the back end of the roof just where your forehead (or teeth) wants to be when you're using the galley. Plus you need to leave enough clear height from the worktop that a stove won't set fire to the roof.

A cranked galley 'hatch' that's vertical below the worktop and gently raked forwards above the worktop is maybe the easiest 'hatch' that doesn't have these problems.

I will keep those suggestions in mind. This tear will be sitting on 31" tires. So the roof will be just over 6' tall and if I raise the galley hatch higher than that I think I will be OK
lilgription
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ksmack01 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:14 pm

I like my flat back camper. I do all my cooking outside of the galley, but the way I set it up I really like it. I wanted an open cabin so I didnt even put cabinets in mine. My galley stores all my cooking supplies with ease. Sealing the back door was the only problem I had but I got that figured out.
ksmack01
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lilgription » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 pm

ksmack01 wrote:100450

I like my flat back camper. I do all my cooking outside of the galley, but the way I set it up I really like it. I wanted an open cabin so I didnt even put cabinets in mine. My galley stores all my cooking supplies with ease. Sealing the back door was the only problem I had but I got that figured out.

I really like how you made the hatch for storage.. Do you have a build page somewhere that I can look at ?
lilgription
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ksmack01 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:47 pm

I dont have a build page. I really liked all that storage but have since remodeled my rear door. It was heavy and leaked a little. I got on a "lighten it up" kick and rebuilt the whole door. I found that I didnt need nearly that much food, even for a week of boondocking. I was able to cut a good 50pounds off by taking that door off. If I was building again, and I will, I would incorporate that pantry door into the build for sure. I store my food in a small tote now and keep it in my house when im not camping. In florida where I live it stays so humid that everything gets nasty and goes bad between trips. You can check out my youtube page for a complete walkthru of my camper. I will try to link it here in another post.
ksmack01
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ksmack01 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Sorry I dont know how to link it here. Its on the fourth page of video links , right at the top.
ksmack01
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:55 pm

lilgription wrote:
angib wrote:Remember that the flat back galley looks simple, but you end up with the back end of the roof just where your forehead (or teeth) wants to be when you're using the galley. Plus you need to leave enough clear height from the worktop that a stove won't set fire to the roof.

I will keep those suggestions in mind. This tear will be sitting on 31" tires. So the roof will be just over 6' tall and if I raise the galley hatch higher than that I think I will be OK

I also wanted a flat galley hatch for simplicity; though my "galley" is more a storage compartment for Coleman stuff, gasoline, generator, and A/C w/ducting, than a conventional galley,110132 still, it will serve as a shelter from the elements while using the cooking stand set up on the trailer side. Utilizing the hatch as a sun/rain deflector is the reason why I didn't make it a split side-opening door set (my first thought). The hatch itself raises up over 6'6" (at the end) to 6' (trailer roof height) when the prop rods are installed (and screwed tight to prevent wind lift-off),102796 and the gap between the hatch and roof is sealed with treated conveyor belting.....102809 I'm 5'11", so it suits my needs as a shelter. I do like ksmack01's door storage racks...but my trailer is already overweight without it....
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby lilgription » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:25 pm

working on it wrote:
lilgription wrote:

I also wanted a flat galley hatch for simplicity; though my "galley" is more a storage compartment for Coleman stuff, gasoline, generator, and A/C w/ducting, than a conventional galley,110132 still, it will serve as a shelter from the elements while using the cooking stand set up on the trailer side. Utilizing the hatch as a sun/rain deflector is the reason why I didn't make it a split side-opening door set (my first thought). The hatch itself raises up over 6'6" (at the end) to 6' (trailer roof height) when the prop rods are installed (and screwed tight to prevent wind lift-off),102796 and the gap between the hatch and roof is sealed with treated conveyor belting.....102809 I'm 5'11", so it suits my needs as a shelter. I do like ksmack01's door storage racks...but my trailer is already overweight without it....

I would never have thought of using conveyor belt like that. I'll keep that in mind
lilgription
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Sketch up designs