Poly removal in SK-UP Q?

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Poly removal in SK-UP Q?

Postby Junkboy999 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Hey Sketchup gurus. I have a question.

Is there any way to get rid of the extra lines that come in with a 3d model when importing them in from another program? ( the dividing lines that divides a polygon into a triangle )

I was able to delete the lines off the lantern box in the example picture by making the object editable and just erasing them. It will take a bit more to do that on the lantern. This is just a test to see if it can be done. When I bring in my TD camper planes I have millions of extra lines. Is there a feature or an import option? I really new at sketchup.

Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Poly removal in SK-UP Q?

Postby danlott » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:26 pm

You can usually get rid of most of the lines by double clicking on the object until you can edit/delete the lines. Then click on on the edit tab on the top left and click on select all. Then right click on the object. On the pop up menu select Soften/Smooth Edges.

This will usually get rid of most of the lines. If it does not get rid of all the lines then you can try erasing the remaining lines, but make sure that does not delete your surface. If you can not erase the line then you can select the line, right click and select hide on the pop up menu.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:40 pm

Sketchup related question: I lost my initial files (my very poor attempts at design) long ago, when my first laptop died. I didn't reload the Sketchup on its replacement computerb(though I saved most everything else). I would like to try my hand at it again, a year or two later...maybe I can do it better now. I just tried, last month, to download Sketchup 8 on my Windows 8 laptop, and it loaded my computer with all sorts of extra browsers, game links, spyware, etc that slipped past my firewalls and virus protection. I forgot which source I tried, but now that I cleaned all of it away, what's a safe link for an "add-on" free download of the Sketchup program?
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:09 am

Ya you need to dubble check that stuff when you DL them. I had that happen before, when I thought I was DL a freeware program form a freeware sight was just a bunch of trash. Allwasy make sure it is a reliable site. here is a good sight, the last one I DL was 2013 it is just the trial.

http://www.sketchup.com/download/all
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:29 am

I tried that Dan but nothing really happened.

EDIT
BUT and I got a big one. I did try a few more things. When I "IMPORT" a .3ds I pick the file name and there is an option button under the proview window (no previews show for .3ds just .skp files )

In that option area there is a checkbox for "merge coplaner faces". This works. It turns the two triangles of a flat face back to one polygone.

Hate learning new programs. :lol:

Nice

Now I don’t see the two million extra lines on the rounded part of my camper.
All though it still looks the same.

Wings 3Dd

SketchUp 2013

Pics are a little fuzzy because I scale them.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Sketch up designs