My first design!

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

My first design!

Postby mauroluque » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:16 pm

Hello, how are you?

I made a design and would like to share with you to get some opinions.
The first time I saw a mini trailer was on a TV program when a person was selling one and I found it great!
This is my first design and I should clarify that I have zero experience in motor homes and construction in general, I did it looking at pictures in several places and some videos of this great post: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=49233
My idea is to someday build and learn at the same time, but first I would like to get your feedback about the design, whether it be good or very bad, you can say what you want, any comment is accepted.

A couple of pictures:

and 3d model for those who want to see it with the program:
https://mega.co.nz/#!0MZCgZ5A!fLoUOSkoHcLjFSugHAFcrHlZuQFW5KpHXwv_ZocKQhs

Thank you very much!
mauroluque
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My first desing!

Postby pchast » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi.
:D
The sketch seems fine. In order to do the galley door you show you will
need to provide support at the bend of the door. The counter will need
to be shortened for space to allow this.
:thinking:
Take some time to read many build logs. There is an overabundance
of information provided that will help.

Good luck with your build. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:22 pm

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on having learned sketch up. Having the ability to build true to scale 3d models of your ideas is a huge help in designing something like this.

One thing you really want to be sure of is the position of your side doors relative to where your keister lands on your mattress when you sit down in the doorway. You want to be able to "sit and spin" (roll back and lift your knees, then pivot into your sleeping position with your head on the pillow). The less shuffling around you have to do to get comfortable, the better. To me it looks like your doors might be a bit too far forward, and you have plenty of room with your tires to move them back a bit, if so. You can check this by sitting down on your regular bed as if you were getting ready to lay down, then measure from your middle to the top of your pillow. That should be where the middle of your door is relative to the front wall. I'm large and don't bend as well as I used to, so I built my doors nice and wide so that I don't kick the door jamb quite so hard every time I swing in.

Also, you want to watch out for the height of your door sills. Many people complain that they left their door sills too high and the seal flange or threshold digs into the backs of their legs when sitting in the doorway. The rule of thumb is that the sill should not be anymore than half the thickness of the mattress, but I would keep it as low as practical. Mine is a 2x plus the lip of the seal flange, or about 2-1/4 inch with the edge trim seal in place on the flange. Yours looks like it might be a bit high.

One last thing, if you prefer the angular look, great (I was drawn to the weekender design to start); but if your design is boxy because you are uncertain about trying to build a curved profile, don't be. They're really not that hard and the curves provide inherent strength. If you can build a TD at all, you can have curves if you want them. If you don't, disregard this comment in its entirety. :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:09 am

but if your design is boxy because you are uncertain about trying to build a curved profile, don't be. They're really not that hard and the curves provide inherent strength.

I think KC is right. Building the curves of a traditional teardrop is fairly straight forward. I'd have to think twice on how to build that angled hatch (I'm sure it's been done though) You might take a look at the Generic Benroy plans in the Designg Resources section at the top of the forum.

I also suggest you may want to get a copy of Steve Fredrick's Teardrop Builders Shop Manual. (I should get paid to promote that thing). It's about 250 pages with lots of photos showing you how to do it. http://www.campingclassics.com/shopman05.html

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mauroluque » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:33 pm

WOW!

Thank you very much for your comments!

To hold the hatch, I was thinking of using gas springs like these:

Regarding the side door, really you're right, actually I locate the door at that place almost without measure, but now with your advice I can improve it.

I designed the angular TD because it seemed easier to build, but I also have the concern of structural integrity. I might encourage and do it curved to be less afraid on the trip.

Thank you very much and soon I will be updating the post with the improvements!
mauroluque
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My first design!

Postby felixx » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi there
Good work, like you I am embarking on my first build and am finding curves make sense.
If you look at the 'design resources' tab you will find all sorts of plans. I am going with a superleggera based design and it is working great so far.

Thanks for sharing, and remember to ask for advice, the folks on here are awesome!
felixx
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:09 am

Hey Mauroluque

Just to let you know your design is doable. Matter of fact mine look just like your plans.

The guy that build mine only use a circular saw, jig saw and drill. He built it off pictures
he saw on the net.

This one is 4x8 and is light weight.

check out the link below to see that if this is not 99% what you drew. ")
Reworking Lil’ Wood.

GL if you get the project rolling.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WhitneyK » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:28 am

I have built the angled design (weekender). I originally thought it would be simpler with "squared angles" :NC , but after having to brake all the metal for the bends :o , I feel the curved design would be a little easier. :thinking: IF I get to build another, it will have a more traditional curve to it.
JMHO :D
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Return to Sketch up designs