Build Design Phase

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Build Design Phase

Postby Zac2Smart » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:11 am

If anyone spots any obvious problems I've overlooked, PLEASE :bowdown: Don't hesitate to let me know. Love comments and criticism.

Zac
Zac2Smart
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Build Design Phase

Postby Zac2Smart » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:14 pm

So I've just about completed my TD design in autocad. Only a few things to finish, need to expand outside walls a little and add 1x2 wall bracing and roof spars. Other than that the design is here
AlmostTD.dwg
(941.42 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
if it's better to put into a different format I could do that also I think.

Let me know what you guys think!~

Zac
Zac
Zac2Smart
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OP827 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:00 am

I would not be the best person for expert advice regarding teardrops design as I have no experience with them, but I noticed on this forum some kind of a trend when lately the TD builders tend to change the back hatch to be close to vertical maybe due to better aerodynamics and also more practical access and cover over the kitchen area, easy to reach the upper shelves I guess in comparison to more classic design. Just a thought.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:00 pm

By having the hatch ribs arc out and back to meet the floor you are providing room between the ribs and counter edge without sacrificing under counter space or needing to have a bunch of floor sticking out past the front edge of the counter.

The flatter or more tapered the hatch is, the further forward the counter's edge must be and the more floor you will have to knock your shins against when you reach. There are ways to mitigate this, such as slanting the under counter cabinets rearward to steal some of this wasted space back (complicating the cabinet building and not really solving the reach issue), or having that section of floor either swing away with the hatch or drop down like a tailgate (... but these are complex and more effort to seal well).

I'm pretty sure that the more teardrop shaped TD's are more aero than the boxier ones (15 deg down slope seems to be the magic number). Even if the square ones do incorporate some sort of spoiler and side spill plates, they are still a brick.

I built mine with a big bustle in the rear hatch because it allowed me to have nice 3 inch deep hatch ribs while still keeping the counter face frame close to the rear of the floor. This will also allow me to slide my cooler in lengthwise, providing a lot more under counter storage space w/o extending the overall length of the floor any more than necessary (9 ft 8 inches). Plus I like how it looks. Aero effect had very little to do with the decision, at least in my case.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Sketch up designs