Camper using SIPs panel design based on Vetsport Microcamper

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Camper using SIPs panel design based on Vetsport Microcamper

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:46 am

This is my current design for my camper. Borrowing heavily from the Vetsport, I am using 2" foam sips panels with 1/2" plywood inside and out. For design purposes, I left the skins off to show just the frame and insulation.

I welcome any constructive criticism.

Thanks,

Rich

Here is the Sketchup file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/guqs3okan9nun ... e.skp?dl=0
Last edited by ThinkLibertarian on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Re: Camper using SIPs panel design based on Vetsport Microca

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:51 am

Here are some pictures in case you don't have Sketchup.

Door Side has a 48" tall, 30" wide door and a 24" wide, 22" tall window:

Camper with SIPs frame door side.jpg
Camper with SIPs frame door side.jpg (228.88 KiB) Viewed 6497 times

Window Side has a 48" wide, 22" tall window:

Camper with SIPs frame window side.jpg
Camper with SIPs frame window side.jpg (201 KiB) Viewed 6497 times

Top has a cutout for a standard 14.5" square vent:

The attachment Camper with SIPs frame top.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
Camper with SIPs frame top.jpg
Camper with SIPs frame top.jpg (158.84 KiB) Viewed 6497 times
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:58 am

I used a floor frame to raise the floor above the height of the tires in order to expand the width to 60". This allows me to have a full size mattress. It is made of 2x8's and 2x4's. A 1/2" plywood floor sits on it. Under it is a 3/4" plywood sheet. There is a good amount of storage space. I have not decided how (or if) I will insulate it.

Here is a picture of the floor frame:

LighterFloorFrame.jpg
LighterFloorFrame.jpg (364.02 KiB) Viewed 6497 times
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:05 pm

"I am using 2" foam sips panels with 1/2" plywood inside and out."

Are you buying or building these?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:03 am

This is alot better than the first design. On the floor I would think that 2x4's on the frame should get you high enough to clear the fenders. It seems to me that 2x8's is a bet of over kill, your not going to dance on the floor just lay on it.
On another note I envy your sketchup skills man that's excellent work. :thumbsup:

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:51 am

Too heavy.

Replace the 1/2 inch wall plies with 1/4 inch, and the 2x's with 1x's. Just saying, you are building a light weight mobile camper not a garden shed.

Depending on what you will have for trailer xmbr's and what you plan to stow in the basement (doesn't look like there will be room for much) you could probably get away with 3/8 ply (or thinner) on the trailer deck.

Another option would be to eliminate all of the 2x4's spanning under the cabin floor and instead bisect the space with a plywood rib running down the space longitudinally (like Desert Moose did). That way the span is cut in half and you get the full depth for storage. Consider partitioning off the front of the basement with access from outside; otherwise it would be difficult to reach stuff that slides forward underway (unless you plan on having floor hatches, which can be a pain to get to under the bedding).

I highly recommend that anyone planning a basement take a look at the Dessert Moose build.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:26 am

I concur with KC. It's too heavy. I also think you'll find that 3/4" of insulation in the walls is plenty.*

Your losing 6" inside with the thickness of your walls and that's not insignificant.

Tony

*This last week we were camped above 9,000' at 45º N. I ran the 12V electric blanket on two 45 minute cycles before we hit the hay.

We awoke to a clear sky. At 8:00, the indoor/outdoor thermometer showed that it was 34º outside and 57º inside with both windows cracked about 3" and the vent lifted a couple of inches. (And yes, you'll find you have to keep teardrops well ventilated to make them live able.) It must have gotten below freezing but It was quite comfortable.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:09 am

tony.latham wrote:"I am using 2" foam sips panels with 1/2" plywood inside and out."

Are you buying or building these?

Tony

Building.
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:10 am

KCStudly wrote:Too heavy.

Replace the 1/2 inch wall plies with 1/4 inch, and the 2x's with 1x's. Just saying, you are building a light weight mobile camper not a garden shed.

Depending on what you will have for trailer xmbr's and what you plan to stow in the basement (doesn't look like there will be room for much) you could probably get away with 3/8 ply (or thinner) on the trailer deck.

Another option would be to eliminate all of the 2x4's spanning under the cabin floor and instead bisect the space with a plywood rib running down the space longitudinally (like Desert Moose did). That way the span is cut in half and you get the full depth for storage. Consider partitioning off the front of the basement with access from outside; otherwise it would be difficult to reach stuff that slides forward underway (unless you plan on having floor hatches, which can be a pain to get to under the bedding).

I highly recommend that anyone planning a basement take a look at the Dessert Moose build.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I have seen the Desert Moose build, and it gave me the idea for the basement. Initially
I was just going to close off the floor section and waste the space. I went with 2x8's because they get me 7.5" of height. I could use 2x6's or maybe even 2x4's, but once I started considering it storage space, I wanted the height. I will be storing my spare tire and other rarely accessed items there. I am going to put a floor hatch in the front half so I can reach in from the side door and lift the mattress up. Accessing the back half is trickier; perhaps a large sliding drawer pulled out through a cutout in the rear 2x8. I could store my canned goods there.

Using 1x lumber and 1/4" plywood skins is something I have not considered, but it makes sense. SIPs panels are strong because they are a glued together unit. (I plan to assemble each wall panel before mounting them to the base with liquid nails and lag bolts driven from below.)

As for the floor frame, I over-engineered it because I am a big guy (6'6", 400lbs), so I think I will stick with the 1/2" plywood and the 2x4 ribs. Replacing the middle rib with a plywood divider is a good idea though. I will add little scrapwood stops to prevent items from rolling about in the basement.

Back to Sketchup! What is the saying? "Proper planning prevents poor production."

Rich
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby yrock87 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:26 pm

if you use 1" framing and 1/4 skins you will still be more than strong enough. it is amazing what the SIPs can hold. my floor is 1/8ply -1"foam-1/4ply it has four 1x1 spars front to back, two on the outside and two equidistant in the middle and the floor spans nearly 5 foot side to side unsupported 5 foot front to back (twice) unsupported. it didn't flex noticeably when I was crouching inside like that. and does not flex at all when I lay down.

I like the basement idea, especially if it makes for usable space. my only other thought would be total height and the effect on the tow vehicle. the added frontal area can accumulate quickly and have a rapid negative effect on TV performance due to wind resistance. resistance is the square of area and speed?
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:00 pm

The one thing that was the biggest help in my teardrop building was purchasing a copy of Steve Fredrick's Teardrop Shop Manual. (Okay, second inline from the forum.)

http://www.campingclassics.com/shopman05.html

It's not a set of plans but about 250 pages of photos and how to do it. He goes into sandwiched (SIP) wall building in detail along with the other challenges like hot to build a spring-back dustless, waterproof hatch. Worth every penny and no, I'm not associated with him. Even on my third build I was cracking it open.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:41 pm

I have updated the Sketchup based on the feedback I have received. The link is the same as in the first post.

I have made the following changes:

In the floor frame, I replaced the cross pieces with 1/2" plywood on both ends and the middle. The second and fourth cross pieces are now 2x2s.

I used replaced the 2x framing for the body of the camper with 1x. All other dimensions remained the same. I also better organized the Sketuchup using Components and Layers.

I have not skinned the Sketchup model (yet), so using 1/4" plywood is not reflected. Nor are the basement storage options, like the proposed drawers in the back.

I am also considering replacing the 2" foamular insulation with 1 1/2", so I can use standard 1x2 lumber instead of cutting my own true 2" thick frame.

Thanks for the feedback!

Rich
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby ThinkLibertarian » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:00 pm

I have made a few more changes to the design.

I added the entry door and the curved front piece.
I added a 1/8" gap around the rear doors and entry door to allow space for movement and weatherstripping.
I moved the top of the windows even with the top of the entry door.
I centered the entry side window between the entry door and rear wall.
I added more measurements. It is a bit of a mess viewed as a whole, but if select a component, that component's relevant measurements are displayed.

This is the last major update before construction begins.

Rich
ThinkLibertarian
Teardrop Builder

Postby yrock87 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:37 pm

ThinkLibertarian wrote:I have made a few more changes to the design.

I added the entry door and the curved front piece.
I added a 1/8" gap around the rear doors and entry door to allow space for movement and weatherstripping.
I moved the top of the windows even with the top of the entry door.
I centered the entry side window between the entry door and rear wall.
I added more measurements. It is a bit of a mess viewed as a whole, but if select a component, that component's relevant measurements are displayed.

This is the last major update before construction begins.

Rich

I had a thought about making more interior space for your trailer and also cutting down on weight and maybe even height. you have your horizontal 2x4s sitting on top of notched fore and aft 2x8s. if you remove the 2x8s and adjust the position of your 2x4s slightly, you can still raise the floor above the wheel wells without having a tone of "dead space" forward at the door. you could keep the raised floor above the axle but then drop the floor down 4 inches or more forward of the axle to facilitate a lower door, and give you and extra 4 inches of standing room in the front. this also has the benefit of removing two 2x8s that are hefty and are not adding anything in the way of strength (since you already have 2x4s going side to side.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Return to Sketch up designs