First Design - Is it buildable

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

First Design - Is it buildable

Postby jsparrish26 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:36 am

Been playing around on Sketchup, and wonder if this is even buildable. Want something small enough to pull, bt sleeps my family of 5.https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw0MevJDXgreSEkyVk1zdW1wTjA?usp=sharing
Attachments
Tiger Retreat1.jpg
Tiger Retreat1.jpg (401.8 KiB) Viewed 4652 times
jsparrish26
Teardrop Inspector

Re: First Design - Is it buildable

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:51 pm

The bunks look a little bit tight...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby IndyTom » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:20 pm

I really like it. Its a nice design as long as everything is big enough inside.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:25 pm

It looks great, but what is holding up the bunks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:50 am

Socal Tom wrote:It looks great, but what is holding up the bunks?

Ahh I see it now!

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:52 am

jsparrish26 wrote:Been playing around on Sketchup, and wonder if this is even buildable. Want something small enough to pull, bt sleeps my family of 5.https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw0MevJDXgreSEkyVk1zdW1wTjA?usp=sharing

I wonder if it would be possible to make the galley accessible from outside? A swing up door like on a food truck? Hmmm

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:12 am

I am not sure about the bunk beds. One end appears to be connected to plywood. The side is connected to the wall. The other end is connected to the rear wall. There most likely needs to be specific supports to deal with the two upper bunks. There could be studs, etc, but it is not in the drawing. Also need to deal with the horizontal forces (tendency to collapse) especially when loaded. Since you have not detailed what is the construction eg foam, plywood, sandwich, one cannot determine if there might be issues.

Similarly, I am guessing the object on the roof is an AC unit. They are pretty heavy, generate a lot of inertia, and may require some work to support.

Your design indicate water storage and at least some grey water system but there is no placement of tanks. There is no obvious placement of propane (stove?) or any electrical equipment ( distribution panel, batteries, inputs).

How wide is this? Bunk bed + aisle + counter/stove. If each is only 24inches, you are at 6 feet!! Also not much meal prep space as this is an indoor kitchen.

How tall/high is this. Obviously not 48". Are the bunks just for lying on. They most likely will not be enough space to sit on (30+ inches) unless one or more fold away.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby jsparrish26 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Thank you all for the input. I'm not married to the thing, trying to fit a family of 5 into something the Honda Pilot can pull (and more important stop) and I know I can buy something that size, but building is theraputic. The bunks are small for sure. Kids right now are 8, 6, 2 so I'd be OK I think for a few more years. The bunks would have support inside the exterior side wall, bathroom wall, and the end by the door but none to speak of on the back end. I haven't put a lot of specific thought there, but I know i would need to. I'd love to figure a way to do adjustable bunks so I can remove at least the top or bottom and add storage later when they're teens and too cool for camping. :shock: I like the idea of the galley pass thru. I'll give that more thought, and maybe reverse the floorplan somewhat to have the galley on the correct side for most campsites.
jsparrish26
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Sketch up designs