Am I crazy? 5x9 Family Teardrop (2 Adults/2 Children)

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Am I crazy? 5x9 Family Teardrop (2 Adults/2 Children)

Postby REIGNSS » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:49 pm

I've been contemplating building a teardrop style trailer on a NT 5x8 frame with the ability to sleep 2 adults and 2 small children (current 18 m/o & 4 y/o)... I've come up with a design that I think can work for us, and I'd like to know if I'm crazy or not? The idea is to have part of the kid bed frame fold up out of the way allowing us to utilize the "kitchen" in the rear of the trailer during to day. We have a Yeti 50 that will go in the right compartment on a pull out; and the center compartment will most likely be drawers to utensils, pans, etc; the left compartment will be used for misc storage.

Interior/galley storage is not as crucial as we'll use a '17 Tacoma as our tow vehicle which we are able to currently fit all of our tent camping supplies in without issue.

.skp model is attached for anyone who wants to view the model in great detail.

Family Teardrop_001 resized.jpg
Family Teardrop_001 resized.jpg (46.75 KiB) Viewed 5630 times

Family Teardrop_002 resized.jpg
Family Teardrop_002 resized.jpg (53.1 KiB) Viewed 5630 times
Attachments
Family Teardrop.skp
(427.79 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
REIGNSS
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Am I crazy? 5x9 Family Teardrop (2 Adults/2 Children)

Postby dancam » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Not crazy. I like the 5x10 size myself.
Just keep in mind you may have kids rolling off that bed and falling onto you, kicking or thumping the ceiling with their feet or heads for fun...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby REIGNSS » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:26 pm

5x10 would be great, but I'm not sure about putting it on an unmodified NT 5x8 trailer frame... thoughts?
REIGNSS
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dancam » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:01 pm

On your pictures it looks like you are going 1ft behind the frsme and none ahead. Can you go a foot ahead and a foot behind?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:46 pm

In midst of a 5x10 on the NT chassis and going over 12" each direction. If I were to do it over, I'd seriously consider extending tongue a foot or so further than I did and build all forward. Puts axle in nearly perfect 35/65 position.

You might consider no hatch and do the "swing out" galley or galley in a drawer. Just a thought. Doesn't seem the hatch opening and flip up half kids platform buys much useful space.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby REIGNSS » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:21 pm

QueticoBill wrote:In midst of a 5x10 on the NT chassis and going over 12" each direction. If I were to do it over, I'd seriously consider extending tongue a foot or so further than I did and build all forward. Puts axle in nearly perfect 35/65 position.

You might consider no hatch and do the "swing out" galley or galley in a drawer. Just a thought. Doesn't seem the hatch opening and flip up half kids platform buys much useful space.

Did you extend the frame to match the overhang? Do you have a "build journal", if so I'd love to take a look.

I've redesigned by trailer, but still have the body sitting 50/50 overhang: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=68981

Are you suggesting pushing it all forward and extending the tongue?
REIGNSS
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:59 pm

It's my belief that you need a fixed bulkhead for structural reasons in a teardrop. How that seeped into my brain is a bit fuzzy. Perhaps someone else will chime in here on that subject.

I too think you need to stretch this teardrop out another foot. 12" is a long ways in a teardrop. I know, you're trying to use a NT 8' trailer. (Keep in mind your axle placement for tongue weight and door location too.) I weld my own trailer frames up but you might explore what a welder could do for you? You can always build the cabin while the welder is working on your chassis.

Here's a thread on a teardrop with a slide-out kid-bed that impressed me:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59086&start=195

Just remember, you're going to blink and those kids will be squirming for their own tent. So build it with the kid-bed being removable.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:57 pm

REIGNSS wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:In midst of a 5x10 on the NT chassis and going over 12" each direction. If I were to do it over, I'd seriously consider extending tongue a foot or so further than I did and build all forward. Puts axle in nearly perfect 35/65 position.

Did you extend the frame to match the overhang? Do you have a "build journal", if so I'd love to take a look.

I've redesigned by trailer, but still have the body sitting 50/50 overhang: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=68981

Are you suggesting pushing it all forward and extending the tongue?

I have a foot plus overhang of the NT angles tongue, but I'm sure 2' would be easy. I'm a big believer in the stressed skin panel and believe that just foam and 1/4 or 3/8 ply would be fine cantilevering 2' without support nor framing. You could look at my web site and see photos in a different application of up to 4 x 12 foot panels with 3/16" hardboard on foam and no frame - good glue - and people - the installers - walk on then 40' in the air. 4 x 8 panels are used for concert stages (rock and roll in arenas) and seem to do fine - thicker foam, 3/16 or 1/4" skins, still no frame. The well built panel stressed skin is incredibly strong.

Build journal started but have not updated since I changed design and assembled and modified chassis. Its on my long list of to do items.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:03 pm

And I agree with Tony - relying on just the ends - and the hatch not much at all - to keep the cross section from parallelogramming is risky at the least. I would not feel comfortable with just a half height bulkhead either. Need something to keep the wall to roof joint at a right angle under stresses.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Return to Sketch up designs