Which of these designs do you like best?

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Which of these designs do you like best?

Postby Homebrewer25 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:05 pm

I've been lurking for quite some time and I am probably going to be building a foamie.

This is a 5 x 5 x 10 1/2 trailer, and I based the general shape on the X-Cubed (great trailer). I wanted the high part in the back because I intend to use a portion of the galley area for a space for a porta potty. At my age its getting difficult to make it thru the night.
FloorPlan.PNG
Floor plan (cabinets and galley not yet designed)
FloorPlan.PNG (14.63 KiB) Viewed 7264 times

I'd like to hear some opinions on the designs ... do you prefer the one with the sharp edges, or the one with the rounded edges?
CTT_Angular.PNG
Angular body
CTT_Angular.PNG (139.91 KiB) Viewed 7264 times

CTT_Rounded.PNG
Rounded body
CTT_Rounded.PNG (221.92 KiB) Viewed 7264 times

Thanks,
Steve
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Re: Which of these designs do you like best?

Postby me&z » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:58 pm

Rounded!

I'm not convinced that the porta potty in that location is going to be practical. Just trying to visualize the gymnastics required to use it. I think a side tent to put it in might work better. Reclaim the space for your galley.
me&z
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:58 am

me&z wrote:Rounded!

I'm not convinced that the porta potty in that location is going to be practical. Just trying to visualize the gymnastics required to use it. I think a side tent to put it in might work better. Reclaim the space for your galley.

Rounded...and I agree about the Porta Potti. This is where a pee bottle comes in handy for us guys.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:48 am

I struggle with the concept of being in a very small space with a porta-potty. Campgrounds seem equipped and too use to this in the wilderness:
back pack trowel.jpg
back pack trowel.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 7146 times
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:50 am

hmmm... I'm a bit partial to the square one... but I can't quite put my finger on why... :thinking:

Radius-ing (is that a word?) the edges creates a pretty neat effect. Creating that with foam might be difficult. The compound curves (all the corners) would be the hardest part. Good luck with it though! Would be cool to see either created out of foam!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Homebrewer25 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 am

I was beginning to think that no one was going to chime in on the two designs. I think I'm partial to the rounded one myself, although either would look great.

I think I can build a hot wire jig to do the 'radiusing' of the edges after it is all glued together. I would do all the 'right angle' edges first, then modify the jig to do the other edges that are not joined at right angles.

You all may be right about the porta-potty. I may just have to use a pee bottle with a lady j attachment for my better half and use the space for a full galley and AC unit.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:hmmm... I'm a bit partial to the square one... but I can't quite put my finger on why... :thinking:...
    Mine's not a foamy, nor rounded...the rounded shape would've required more work, more tools, more sanding (I hate sanding), so straight edges are to my liking. As to the porta-potty...I didn't foresee the need for one inside (I do now), and it would've been impossible to fit in my 4x8, so I put mine inside a side-tent (I have two different ones to choose from, depending on the ground conditions), and I also try to camp nearer to facilities when at a state park.
  • luggable loo.jpg
    luggable loo.jpg (71.16 KiB) Viewed 7111 times
    separated from trailer, but very close!
  • And, for those times (two or three? times a night; I'm an old guy) when opening the cabin door is not a preferable option
  • N.U.S., and components.png
    N.U.S., and components.png (292.65 KiB) Viewed 7111 times
    recently installed, not tested in actual camp conditions!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:37 am

Homebrewer25 wrote:I was beginning to think that no one was going to chime in on the two designs. I think I'm partial to the rounded one myself, although either would look great.

I think I can build a hot wire jig to do the 'radiusing' of the edges after it is all glued together. I would do all the 'right angle' edges first, then modify the jig to do the other edges that are not joined at right angles.

You all may be right about the porta-potty. I may just have to use a pee bottle with a lady j attachment for my better half and use the space for a full galley and AC unit.

I do like the rounder version also. Seems like you would need to laminate some foam on the inside - almost like a "cornice" so those joints don't get too thin. I don't think those planes truley meet at 90 degrees, so a little bit of a challenge to build the "cornice".

I think you really have to want it to justify what seems sure to be a lot more work.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:20 pm

My build is similar to your "softened" rounded version. It's a 5 wide 10 ft. Sorta weekender, with a narrowed, rounded nose (kinda like yours). I wound up doing the rounding by hand after after abusing a lot of brain cells trying to devise a hot-wire jig to do the job without jig deformation, etc. Decided to spend the time by doing instead of pondering. worked out OK using a coarse file, followed by increasingly finer sandpaper, down to 180 grit. 80 grit was very effective and good to work with. Lotta dust masks....
I believe quite a few folks have done rounding on foam corners, if I remember correctly. The compound angles didn't really present much of a problem (at least as far as rounding went). I did not add additional support such as a cornice, although I thought about doing so. The double thickness of canvas due to overlap inside & out left the roof-to-wall joints rock solid.
The cuts for the angles (other than the roof) leave you with a thicker cross-section than the original 2" foam, so you can shave & round them without losing much, if any of the original thickness. plus the angle adds strength at that joint............I can't say if the canvassing was more difficult due to the rounding, since it's my first build, but the compound angles can be challenging when using PMF. At the front upper in/down angle, I wound up with three layers of exterior canvas in a small area on both sides......On the bright side, it's really, really strong there!..............jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby adker27 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:58 am

Both are pretty cool but I like the rounded corners the best. The rounded edges should create less turbulence for an easier tow. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk
adker27
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 pm

Rounded gets my vote.

Remember that hot wire knives don't go through many of the glues/adhesives used in foamie construction. Not sure about GS or GG, but they will not go through TB2, PL or epoxy well at all... at least not as easily as the foam, so stalls and wire worming are likely to be an issue. Plan any joints and built up sections of foam accordingly.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Camp4Life » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:52 pm

They both look good. But if I were to build it, I would go the square route because I'm OCD. If those rounded corners weren't perfect and identical and symmetrical, it would drive me nuts. Much easier to work with straight lines, and much easier to repair/rebuild/redo if needed. And it'll still look nice with a skin on top to make slightly soft edges. That's my opinion though.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby irgod32 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:07 am

This why I enjoy this forum. Everyone has their idea as to what design serves them best. We all add our own little ideas to our little trailers to make it our own. Some ideas are very cleaver. I am not so creative but at times I will modify an idea I see and add it to my trailer. I can't wait to see pictures of your build. Keep working on your great idea! :thumbsup:
Robert
Tiny Trailer Builders of America
Build it and they will come
irgod32
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:26 pm

Are you fiberglassing the foamie? If so, I would think rounded corners would definitely be better. You could fiberglass the foam and then top coat it with the product of your choice.

Also, if you splurge on higher density foam, you can sometimes use a sander to shape it.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Return to Sketch up designs