Security

Let's protect our teardrops! Let's talk sunbrella, carports, sheds and garages..

Security

Postby oubliet » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:16 pm

What's a good, secure lock to put on my trailer?

Surely, the typical long-shackled padlock is not very secure.

Aside from locking the trailer up in a garage or shed, what's the next best way to secure the teardrop from theft?
oubliet
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Security

Postby starleen2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:20 pm

For the few trailers i have stored in my backyard - i take off one wheel - believe me - they don't want to have to take the time to find a wheel to place back on the spindle. If you are really THAT concerned about theft - maybe take a wheel with you when you leave the campsite - thieves will pass on by! if it's too much work for you to do to take it off - then its too much for a thief to do as well.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Security

Postby T&CLongmire » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:21 pm

starleen2 wrote:For the few trailers i have stored in my backyard - i take off one wheel - believe me - they don't want to have to take the time to find a wheel to place back on the spindle. If you are really THAT concerned about theft - maybe take a wheel with you when you leave the campsite - thieves will pass on by! if it's too much work for you to do to take it off - then its too much for a thief to do as well.

Everytime I camp.
T&CLongmire
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Mostly I just rely on the long shackle padlock on my hitch. If I'm going to have to leave the trailer for overnight and I'm not going to be there, I'll lock one of the wheel chocks to the wheel with a chain.

I figure if they can cut the lock shackle, they can cut the chain too. But perhaps it'll slow them down.

But frankly, I'm not worried about someone stealing my trailer, I'm more concerned about neighborhood kids vandalizing it in my driveway, and for that I have no suggestions.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:28 pm

I have a braided coated cable that is supposed to be cut resistant and a padlock that is supposed to be cut resistant and a padlock on the hitch. If they get through that they want it more than I do. I keep it garaged at home most of the time, vandals at home worry me more than when camping also.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby glenpinpat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:18 am

you can buy tongue locks that are specifically designed for them. We have one it came in a set with the hitch pin lock. If you have an extra hitch ball cut off most of the thread and then put the ball in the tongue cup before you lock the tongue latch, this way nobody can hookup unless they remove the lock.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby synaps3 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:23 pm

After losing a key to a padlock and easily cutting it off my utility trailer with a set of $8 bolt cutters from Home Depot, I have no faith in padlocks anymore. :thumbdown:

Taking off a wheel is a good idea, I'll do that next time we go.
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:14 pm

I've got these for when at campsite and at the house
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fulton-Gorilla-Guard-Trailer-Lock-1-7-8-Couplers-ATP17-TP17-0103-/300734118203?hash=item460526793b&item=300734118203&pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I use a small hitch lock where the key screws the lock bolt thru the hitch release lever during travel also helps keep the hitch release from popping up during travel.

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Richard A. » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:33 pm

oubliet wrote:What's a good, secure lock to put on my trailer?

Surely, the typical long-shackled padlock is not very secure.

Aside from locking the trailer up in a garage or shed, what's the next best way to secure the teardrop from theft?

You didn't say *when* you want to secure the trailer from theft.

It can be stolen while hitched to your tow vehicle while you leave it in the parking lot to go in for lunch (or WalMart, or wherever)
All someone needs to do is have a tow hitch that will accept your slide-in draw bar (the part that you put the ball onto) Just pull out the hitch pin that secures the draw bar to your hitch. They unhook the safety chains and pull out the hitch pin and draw bar. Push the trailer over to their vehicle and slide the draw bar in and lock it with the hitch pin. Admittidly they need a lot of b**ls to do this. They can hook up the electric or not.

There are locking hitch pins to help stop this.

There are locks that attach to the trailer while parked. Some attach in place of the trailer ball and prevent the trailer from accepting the ball from a two vehicle. There are coupler latch locks that attach to the lever that closes the hitch around the ball (where some folks use a cotter pin)

I use both of the latter while the trailer is parked in my driveway and while parked at a campsight. I *should* get a locking hitch pin one of these days.
Richard A.
Boston, MA, USA
2008 Little Guy Silver Shadow
Richard A.
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:11 pm

All the locks mentioned in this thread won't stop a determined thief.
As I was looking for a new locking hitch pin it said on the package a determined thief could just un-bolt the ball and place it on his tow vehicle's draw bar, bye bye trailer :( .
They sell welded ones.
My ball is now welded all the way around the threads at the nut.
I lock the safety chains to the tow vehicle,use a locking hitch pin & coupler lock when attached to my tow vehicle.
When parked I lock the chains in a manner to make it difficult to swing the tongue wheel up and use a disk locked into the coupler.
Sometimes I'll lock the bikes to the tongue too.
The state patrol officer who inspected my teardrop suggested welding the Vin number on the tongue in the event some "crack head" decides to steal it.
I've been way ahead of him for years now.
Now I need to figure out how to put a high voltage charge to it :twisted: :lol: :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby jeff0520 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:32 pm

I used to work for a contractor that used to leave VERY expensive trailer mounted speciality equipment on the jobsites over the weekend. They had lengths of hardened steel chain that they ran between the leaf springs and the frame, through the D holes in each wheel behind the axle, back through the D holes in each wheel and through the springs on the front side of the wheel and up to the tongue, where they wrapped the excess chain around the tongue tube and locked with a hardened high security disk type padlock. thieves couldn't get the wheels off, and the wheels couldn't turn. They never lost a trailer during the time I worked there.
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby Richard A. » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:57 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:All the locks mentioned in this thread won't stop a determined thief.

Very true .. but the harder they are to circumvent the more likely someone will pass on your trailer and move on to an easier target.
Richard A.
Boston, MA, USA
2008 Little Guy Silver Shadow
Richard A.
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Have you read this thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49055 concerning much the same ideas
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby BC Dave » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:25 am

I use a bicycle U Lock through wheel spokes; that a chain goes through and around the leaf spring;

on the hitch; a small hitch pin screw lock on the hitch and have a cut off trailer hitch ball I insert into the hitch ball reciver .... 2 padlocks on CT door locks; I have tools stored there so am a little more carefull (or ...parinoid?)

I leave it for a while and trust that my neighbours are there and know Im gone ... but if theres a will theres a way ...

Cheers bc Dave
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:49 am

A perennial question, How do you keep it from going by by. What it boils down to is anything you can get a bolt cutter on is toast in a matter of seconds. The proof is the tests of bike locks on Youtube including some very heavy chains and locks. One reason I had a Bulldog hitch attached is the availability to attach Da Bull lock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCBUN1QgftM
I could not leave it alone and polished it up.

Gus when he designed the lock use 4140 steel for the central part of the lock.this is the same steel used in forklift forks and crane hooks and it is from first hand experience tough to cut off even with a cutting wheel. What you might ask is to prevent some one from simply unbolting the hitch and replacing it. The holes are there randomly and would not align with any existing hitch.

Distinct graphics make it more identifiable.

Last edited by Shadow Catcher on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Next

Return to Teardrop Protection