new idea on teardrop procteion.

Let's protect our teardrops! Let's talk sunbrella, carports, sheds and garages..

Re: new idea on teardrop procteion.

Postby Dalorin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:21 pm

You could also get a keyed switch from the tractor supply and wire it to short out the electrical when locked. These are the same keyed switches used on mopeds to prevent ignition when you don't have a key.
Dalorin
Teardrop Master

Postby coyote » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:55 am

I cut mine off the car and switched both ends to Duetz connectors, made by Caterpillar. They are quality, water proof and would help. I have them throughout tear, anywhere I had to make a connection. The drawback IS, it won't fit any other vehicle, as in, I can't borrough my son's truck. Of course I know the answer...make my own adapter. ( good idea, next project!)
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:06 pm

removing a wheel is still the best option in my opinoin, not that I've ever camped where I was worried enough to even bother locking the tear.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:44 pm

While not protection for the trailer, what could be fun is to make a fake light connector. But short the hots to the ground wire. It isn't actually connected to the trailer wiring, just a "dead plug" for thieves tow vehicle.

Then if someone tries to take the trailer, plug in the connector and hit the brakes, it blows the fuses on the tow vehicle's brake and possibly turn circuits. Turn on the lights, poof there goes the tow vehicle tail lights. If a 7 pin connection, you could really cause havoc, possibly blowing out alternator diodes and brake controllers.

This is what happens when I haven't been working hard today. :D

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:52 pm

rowerwet wrote:removing a wheel is still the best option in my opinoin, not that I've ever camped where I was worried enough to even bother locking the tear.

Regardless of what kind of security lock or chain that I get, and partly influenced by the many posts on this thread and another, I think while in a 7-14 day hunt camp, I just might remove one wheel and tire. Yes, it is a little work, but it just might give me some security confidence for when I am not at the trailer for a day or two.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Protection