Monstaliner questions!

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:13 pm

clamlamp wrote:Would you be able to ask them if it could be applied over canvas like in PMF?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

My thoughts on this (I haven't asked a representative yet): Maybe so great an idea? Monstaliner, like all bedliner and similar coatings, is a plastic. It needs a rigid substrate or else the potential for fractures and dents skyrockets. Secondly, applying Monstaliner over canvas will almost assuredly leave voids between the canvas yarns, and all voids may possibly collect water. Thirdly, the canvas will soak up a lot of the Monstaliner, and at about $150 a gallon, it's not something you want to waste :)

I'm assuming you're interested in a canvas-covered foamie build? If so, I would think that fiberglassing the foam and then applying Monstaliner would be much wiser than trying to use canvas. That's not much more expensive than using high-quality canvas, but it'll make the shell much stronger and provide a better foundation for the Monstaliner.

But ... those are only my initial thoughts. We'll see what the rep says.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Glenn Butcher wrote:Anyone try Line-X?

I only ask because I drive by their plant in Huntsville AL a lot, decided to look at the website, and I found they make a product that was originally targeted to bedliners but they're hawking for a whole bunch of other applications. Folks even coat their entire trucks in the stuff.

FWIW... http://linex.com/

For a chuckle, it's worth just going to the main site and regarding the Line-X-ed doughnut...

I spoke with a Line-X dealer in my area. It sounds like a great product. It's the industry standard, and for good reason. You can't go wrong with it. Before I found Monstaliner, it was my number one pick. But ...

You have to upgrade to Line-X Premium in order to get UV resistance. With Monstaliner, it's standard. And while Line-X may be stronger (better tensile strength, etc.), it's important to remember that we're putting this on a teardrop, not a truck - just about any bedliner is technically overkill in the strength department. What matters most, to me anyway, is adhesion, durability and UV resistance.

The dealer I spoke with quoted about $10 a square foot for regular Line-X. Depending on how much of the camper you have to tape off, it could be more or less. Anyways, assuming $10 a square foot, that's about $1,444 for a 5x8 teardrop. If Monstaliner lives up to the hype, I'd much rather put the spare $1,000 back in my pocket :)
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

Andrew Herrick
Teardrop Master

Postby Glenn Butcher » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:57 am

Andrew Herrick wrote:
I spoke with a Line-X dealer in my area. It sounds like a great product. It's the industry standard, and for good reason. You can't go wrong with it. Before I found Monstaliner, it was my number one pick. But ...

You have to upgrade to Line-X Premium in order to get UV resistance. With Monstaliner, it's standard. And while Line-X may be stronger (better tensile strength, etc.), it's important to remember that we're putting this on a teardrop, not a truck - just about any bedliner is technically overkill in the strength department. What matters most, to me anyway, is adhesion, durability and UV resistance.

The dealer I spoke with quoted about $10 a square foot for regular Line-X. Depending on how much of the camper you have to tape off, it could be more or less. Anyways, assuming $10 a square foot, that's about $1,444 for a 5x8 teardrop. If Monstaliner lives up to the hype, I'd much rather put the spare $1,000 back in my pocket :)

Excellent review, Andrew. Thanks!
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Monstaliner tells me that applying Monstaliner over a marine epoxy is a no-go and that one of two methods should be used: Either the polyurethane solution (see above thread) or by preparing wood with their Chassis Saver paint.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

Andrew Herrick
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:06 pm

I asked if Monstaliner could be applied over epoxy if polyurethane was used as a barrier coating. Basically, they said maybe. I might have issues, but I should be fine.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

Andrew Herrick
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:53 am

I asked if Monstaliner could be applied over epoxy if polyurethane was used as a barrier coating.

I assume you are planning on giving your epoxy a coat of poly before the Monstaliner. Why not directly over the epoxy/glass? Is it because of the amine blush issue?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:37 am

tony.latham wrote:
I asked if Monstaliner could be applied over epoxy if polyurethane was used as a barrier coating.

I assume you are planning on giving your epoxy a coat of poly before the Monstaliner. Why not directly over the epoxy/glass? Is it because of the amine blush issue?

Tony

Tony, good question. I didn't go after specifics yet. As far as my personal plans go, I'm on the fence. Epoxy is a good deal more work. I can spray a good polyurethane. It seems, offhand, that three coats of polyurethane (thinning the first coat), followed by two coats of Monstaliner, which builds to a 40 mil thickness, would be more than waterproof. Would saturating the camper in epoxy, followed by two coats of polyurethane, followed by the Monstaliner, be arguably more waterproof and worth the extra $$$? I don't know.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

Andrew Herrick
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:34 pm

:thinking:

Thanks,

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member