Uses for "RevolutionPly"?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Uses for "RevolutionPly"?

Postby Billinthedesert » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:55 am

I was in Lowe's this morning and wandered past a unit of this 5mm poplar plywood from Patriot Lumber. It is clearly labeled for interior use only. Wondering if anyone has used it in Teardrop/TT construction.

http://www.patriottimber.com/RevolutionPly-Plywood.php
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Builder

Re: Uses for "RevolutionPly"?

Postby MtnDon » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:28 pm

If/when it gets wet it delaminates readily.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Their warranty lists so many caveats that it seems they actually warranty nothing, and certainly won't cover extreme usage, like camping usage in a teardrop, nor in such a non-standard application. Just buy regular plywood, and soak it in the mix. IMHO
2013 HHRv a "squareback/squaredrop" 4x8 TTT,
semi-offroad?, at barely under 2000 lbs travel weight
  • 3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube axle, w/brakes
  • 27x8.5-14LT all-terrain tires (x 3)
  • LED lighting, triple fans. Pioneer stereo
  • A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator
  • Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill
  • zinc/stainless steel front racks
working on it
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Billinthedesert » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:51 am

Figured as much, darn it. It is good-looking material.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:01 am

Billinthedesert wrote:Figured as much, darn it. It is good-looking material.

FInd some Baltic birch. You can throw a chunk in a bucket and leave it there for a month. Pull it out and dry it off. No delamination, no swelling.

The biggest cost of building a teardrop is labor. (I get the willies when I see folks using OSB.)

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Billinthedesert » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Tony, I am with you on OSB. Yuck. I'll visit a couple of the real lumber yards and ask about Baltic birch. It is probably the most-mentioned plywood on TNTTT and sounds like wonderful, affordable stuff.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Billinthedesert wrote:Tony, I am with you on OSB. Yuck. I'll visit a couple of the real lumber yards and ask about Baltic birch. It is probably the most-mentioned plywood on TNTTT and sounds like wonderful, affordable stuff.

I called Rugby in Albuquerque a month ago, and they had some Baltic birch in stock for about $11 a sheet (1/8" 5'x5'), if you want to go that far. Please don't buy him out though, we haven't bought ours yet. :) They are not open on weekends and don't deliver to residences. Our hauling trailer is a 4 by 8 Harbor Fright with fenders in the way, so we have to figure out how to get it home safely.

I have great hopes for the Baltic birch: We want to use it on our interior walls as well as for the head liner and roof. The AC plywood we bought from RAKs (Edgewood) has cracks on the A side; we found better quality stuff from a Lowes in Albuquerque. My home builder knew Hunter from Hunter lumber in Edgewood, and said Hunter retired and sold his business to RAKs because he was tired of dealing with customer dissatisfaction with the worsening quality wood from his distributors.

Tom
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Billinthedesert » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:23 am

Tom, I may very well have to travel to ABQ or El Paso, although Las Cruces may have what I need. I guess I need to get that 5X8 Northern Tool trailer here soon, so I can haul plywood. I don't have the roof rack cross members for my Forester and good ones would cost 2/3s of the cost of the NT trailer. First I have to check with Foxworth-Galbraith and 84 Lumber here in Alamo, as they may have what I need -- or can order it for me.
Billinthedesert
Teardrop Builder

Postby NorthEGPhoto » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:45 pm

Well, i used it to skin my build and do the interior, and coated it with 4 coats of behr alkyd paint. it was stored in a barn, it did get wet. I guess we'll see in a few years if my choices are available for public shaming.

When I was working with it, I noticed it was pretty damn tough to get a screw started on it, and it seems to be fairly tough to scratch up. You can see me applying it in my build thread, though it is a time lapse.
"In the morning, the light is golden, in the midday 'tis time to nap, and in the evening the light returns. Into the night the stars shine brightly, now if only the moon would stay out of sight." - Some photographer
NorthEGPhoto
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Skinning secrets