taping the seams ?

Finishes, paints and coatings

taping the seams ?

Postby billyjack1970 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:36 pm

Hello, is it necessary to tape the seems before applying my My 4 oz fiberglass cloth?.
billyjack1970
Teardrop Inspector

Re: taping the seams ?

Postby rkanz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:54 pm

It depends. Do you need extra reinforcement at the seams? If yes, then use tape. If not, you can wrap the cloth over the edge, rounding the edge makes it easier. Leave an inch or so overlap. If you are using epoxy you can trim the cloth when it starts to set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby billyjack1970 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks rkanz. I don’t think I need extra reinforcement. Just wanting to make sure that I wasn’t missing something and do it wrong ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
billyjack1970
Teardrop Inspector

Postby starleen2 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:30 pm

I usually tape my seams, but I use drywall mesh tape with a coat of resin then overlay with fiberglass just for added insurance.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Kingston » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:15 pm

Depending on what strength you wish yes and no.
Most boatbuilding plans call for taped seams this adds extra rigidity and strength, pretty important when you are trying to keep out the h20.
I have rebuilt quite a few truck cabs and most manufacturers don't tape the seams allowing a very little amount of flex and expansion of the wood components.
You should not need to tape the seams as you will have about 5m of edge per side between your walls and front/roof/back on a standard 8 ft x4ft build also you will get lots of strength from the cross bracing (mostly the galley).
In my own honest opinion I would only tape if I was intending on fitting a roof rack or intended to hang an awning.
:) whatever you decide, its right at the time.
Kingston
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:29 pm

On my epoxy/FG over foamie hybrid build I stagger overlapped 2 plies of 6oz up on top of the roof with no additional tape at the profile corner. I did somewhat of a Steve Fredrick's method with the roof sitting on top of the walls, and added a 3/4 inch round over to the profile (easy to do in 1-1/2 thk foam).

I'm very happy with the strength.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby friz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:45 pm

Mine was literally stitched together with copper wires. Filleted and glass taped on the inside. Then wires were clipped and the outside glassed. The floor was held in place with screws. After the floor was secured with fillets and glass tape, the screws were removed.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Return to Skinning secrets