Uses for "RevolutionPly"?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Uses for "RevolutionPly"?

Postby JamesDixonLR » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:19 am

It probably is the same stuff. Here is a link to the manufacturer's page: http://www.patriottimber.com/RevolutionPly-Plywood.php '

The price is nice but I just came from a local lumberyard where they have 1/4" birch for $17 a 4x8 sheet. Lowe's and HD have it for about $25 a sheet. Well, it's called 1/4" but is really .203" which seems pretty close to the 5mm of this RevolutionPly. I have not found 1/8" birch anywhere local.
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kim Armstrong » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Sunset Hardwoods in LR has 1/8 5x5 sheets. Have you tried Hogans? They might have it but not very friendly service. Might try Plunkett Dist.
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby JamesDixonLR » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:59 am

I will check them out, thank you. I have not heard of them. The birch I was just referring to was from Kaufman's.
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Postby Kim Armstrong » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:03 pm

They have Russian birch. A lot better than Chinese birch.
Kim Armstrong
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:59 am

JamesDixonLR wrote:It probably is the same stuff. Here is a link to the manufacturer's page: http://www.patriottimber.com/RevolutionPly-Plywood.php '

The price is nice but I just came from a local lumberyard where they have 1/4" birch for $17 a 4x8 sheet. Lowe's and HD have it for about $25 a sheet. Well, it's called 1/4" but is really .203" which seems pretty close to the 5mm of this RevolutionPly. I have not found 1/8" birch anywhere local.

Ask your local lumberyard if they can order 1/8" Baltic for you. Mine doesn't flinch. It's how they stay competitive with the box stores and their cheap stuff.

:thumbsup:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:27 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Ask your local lumberyard if they can order 1/8" Baltic for you. Mine doesn't flinch. It's how they stay competitive with the box stores and their cheap stuff.

T

Hmm, about a 15 hour drive from Albuquerque to the middle of Idaho... :thinking:

Tom
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

T

Hmm, about a 15 hour drive from Albuquerque to the middle of Idaho... :thinking:

Tom

Salmon, Idaho has one lumber yard that serves about 3,000 peeps. We're three hours from the nearest box store. This yard orders specialty plywoods every week. I think it's the norm for lumber yards.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:12 am

tony.latham wrote:
Salmon, Idaho has one lumber yard that serves about 3,000 peeps. We're three hours from the nearest box store. This yard orders specialty plywoods every week. I think it's the norm for lumber yards.

Tony

We had a lumbar yard like that when I moved to New Mexico about twelve years ago. I used to order vigas and lattias (big logs and little logs for us gringos) from them to build rustic furniture. About three years ago the owner retired, complaining about the quality of lumber they got from their suppliers, and the lumbar yard was sold to a chain that operates all over rural New Mexico. No luck getting them to order anything nowadays.

I hope that isn't indicative of a nationwide trend.

Luckily, we do have a hardwood lumber yard in Albuquerque that carries Baltic birch, but they wouldn't order Integraply (or, I presume anything else they don't already carry).

Tom
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby FM82 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 pm

I tried it recently, and kept it on some parts, like skinning the interior of cabinets and what not, but decided against it for anything else. The thickness and weight of it is quite nice, and doesn't look too bad with stained applied.

What I really haven't liked about it is how it relaxed so easily. This could be a benefit in some cases, but when you're not looking to have any curvature, it definitely needs supports. I had a 45"x 17" piece that was lying horizontally, supported at both ends and in the very center. 3-4 days later and it had sagged roughly 1/8th of an inch in the unsupported areas.

My second dislike is that it's surfaces aren't flat. If anyone plans to have a semigloss, or glossy finish, wether it be painted or stained, you will see indents in the veneer. They appear as areas that were/have been under a lot of weight, and never regained it's form. In the pieces I had, 1/2" indents running the full 4" width of the board were very common. In another there was an indented area that covered about 80sq inches or so, as if a bag of concrete was sitting on the outer edge of the board.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
FM82
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets