Different Options for Skinning

Finishes, paints and coatings

Different Options for Skinning

Postby jgrote » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:01 pm

In an effort to prolong the life of my tear build, I have decided that I will definitely skin it with some kind of sheet goods. Right now, I'm leaning toward FRP on the sides and Al on the top. After lots of research, I've come up with a few options:
1) Aluminum
pros: long lasting, easy to finish, classic look.
cons: difficult to get a professional look, lots of trim needed, dangerous, pricey. ($320 for what I need)
2) FRP
pros: color options, easi(er) to work, durable, cheaper?.
cons: special glues, bendable?, what to trim with?
3) Plastic Sheet
This is a big black hole. There are soooo many different kinds of plastics. I'm lost trying to figure out what to use. Cost seems to be wildly different from type to type. Any experts out there? I would consider painting it if that would keep costs down. UV resistance seems to be what makes plastics expensive.
4) Your clever ideas that I have not found yet?

I can't wait to read what you guys and gals come up with.
jgrote
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Different Options for Skinning

Postby Jdhiker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:50 am

UV Rating on anything other than Aluminum ??

How will FRP hold up in direct sun time after time? will it degrade?

Other Plastics may get Brittle from sun and weather.

I have thought of FRP also... but wondering if it will also hold dirt in all those nooks and crannys

Jim
Jim & Charlene
Belchertown MA.

Working on Benny the "Shasta Mini" !! to be pulled behind 2012 Honda CRV
Blog, http://www.jdhiker.wordpress.com

other campers I'm working on
64 Beeline Wasp
66 Shasta compact
and out family Standee is
26' 2012 Keystone Summerland towed with a 2003 GMC 2500HD Crew CAb
Jdhiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby MtnDon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Roo Dog » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:37 pm

STEEL !

RD :)
Lets do a three sixty and get out of here !
Roo Dog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Colorado_Carter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:00 pm

Munimula

Definitly

1) Aluminum
pros:
long lasting-Yes
easy to finish-Yes
classic look-Yes

cons:
difficult to get a professional look-BS
lots of trim needed-True
dangerous-Nope
pricey. ($320 for what I need)-A little bit

My two cents are these:
1. I just spent all this time, energy and money on this project. I would prefer to take a little longer and give it maximum protection.

2. It is easy to work with aluminum (easier than the plywood), and it easily gives good results. Take your time when installing it, electric trimmer, sharpie and a router are all that is needed. Always wear safety glass/sheild and gloves when working with it or any other product. Use lots of screws, sealent and glue. Cant go wrong with any of them here.
Colorado_Carter
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jgrote » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:33 pm

I just received a bunch of FRP samples in the mail from one of the MFG's. I will be nailing them to the fence this afternoon and letting them enjoy the Denver sun for a while. We'll see how they do. :frightened:
jgrote
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jdarkoregon » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Something you might put into your equation, What look do you want?

Al really isn't that hard to work with. Trim isn't any harder to work with, in face, you might even use the same trim for any of your researched products.

Have you considered the fiberglass that they are using on full sized RVs?

For the trim, use the supersoft rv trim, that should be a nobrainer.

Have fun and BUILD LITE!!!

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Something I've been doing with Aluminum for a while now.

http://serroscottycamperenthusiasts.com ... IDING.html

There are 2 additional things I do now that I didn't do when this tutorial was made.

1.) I use the Brake metal thats used for making continuous "K" gutters. Ya can't get it at Home Depot. Ya have to go to a regular Roofing & Siding distributor. Still available Locally and its a bit thicker.

2.) I ad a layer of packing Styrofoam to the back of the siding. It stiffens it, resists dents and does ad a "smidgen" of insulation.

2 rolls of Aluminum @ $90= $180 (+ Brake rental @ $50, if needed)

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby jgrote » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:45 pm

I am not opposed to working with Al. I just like to do things differently than the next person. I am considering plastic for the sides and Al for the top. I will almost definitely use Al trim. I'm not in love with the all Al look, so I'd probably paint it if I go that route.
Last edited by jgrote on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgrote
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dmdc411 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:44 am

I'm at the point of siding my Teardrop, been researching a good year now on what's best. I've spent too much time and money on this project to skimp now. I looked into FRP at the green box(Men__ds) store, its probably not UV stable, but if you paint it with exterior paint it should be ok, right? I have made calls and left two messages to the company here in Eagan MN with no results. As a note, my dad pointed out something here too, if the camper isn't going to sit outside except when used, it really doesn't matter if the FRP is UV stable or not. A few days at a time isn't going to hurt the FRP. Someone here on this site has used FRP of some sort for fence panels around a pool, these parts have been out in the sun for something like 9 years and still look perfect. Also, if your going to paint it anyway, why not combine FRP sheeting and the aluminum trim? That's an idea, thanks to the Windsor/cokes! Yah its Monday night, I worked all weekend, so now it's my weekend!! Aluminum sheeting is the ultimate in my book, I've worked with it extensively in aviation. Its easy to work with, no maintenance if sealed properly, and looks great. Sourcing has been difficult, but this summer I did find a reasonably priced($65-4x10ftx.040)supplier in the area. Next would be the roof to sidewall trim. Just the other day I found a RV dealer, Brambilla's, (awesome people) in the Minneapolis area. They've been the source of many surplus parts like, interior lights, electrical, and windows. They sold me a 4 foot piece of left over edge moulding for me to try and bend around the tightest radius I have, it worked great. It came from Bell Industries(2013 Cat. pg.567) in Eagan, MN. It would cost about $100(?) for all except the Tee for the sides of the hatch. Fiberglass over the plywood skin is great stuff too, but in my book its messy, sort of expensive, and still needs paint as a top coat. I think for what we need, any of these would be fine, it boils down to preference.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby len19070 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 am

dmdc411 wrote:. Someone here on this site has used FRP of some sort for fence panels around a pool, these parts have been out in the sun for something like 9 years and still look perfect.

Closer to 24 years!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35105&hilit=another+look+at+FRP

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Fyddler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:37 pm

I took a page out of the foamie manual and used TB2 and cotton muslin (muslin was in lieu of heavy canvas since I didn't need the structural component like a foamie would). I the. Painted with a two component Acrylic Epoxy paint. It wasn't the quickest solution, and has only been on the road for 5k miles but so far so good.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384886248.307801.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384886248.307801.jpg (26.68 KiB) Viewed 7055 times
To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer

Build Log: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55017
Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:29 am

Fyddler... that looks Super !!! :thumbsup: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jgrote » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:38 pm

So after much reflection, consternation, consideration, introspection, and deliberation, I have made a selection. I will be using FRP for the whole thing. Mostly because I like the look better than Al. To each his own I guess. I will be using Al trim though, as a nice break in the color. I figure I'll just paint it if it starts to react to the UV. Watch my (very slow) build to see how it goes. I also have some interesting ideas for weatherstripping that I am going to try too. :thinking: ;)
jgrote
Teardrop Advisor

Postby fartblossom » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm using frp instead of undercoating, and on the top of my torpender build. For one reason.

I got it free. :thumbsup:

I'm going to go unpainted to see how it does with UV and will report here after it's been out a few times. It will be stored under tarp between outings.
My build thread
viewtopic.php?t=55238
fartblossom
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Skinning secrets