skinning with Alum on 5ft wide trailer

Finishes, paints and coatings

skinning with Alum on 5ft wide trailer

Postby rickp » Mon May 26, 2014 10:05 pm

I am trying to determine how to skin my five foot wide trailer with aluminum. The sides are a no brainer and I have found lots of info on that. However the top is another story. Five foot wide aluminum does not seem to be available any where. So I assume I will have to join sheets together in order to cover the entire width and then overlap the edges at a spar. Any suggestions out there? :(
rickp
Teardrop Inspector

Re: skinning with Alum on 5ft wide trailer

Postby citylights » Mon May 26, 2014 10:30 pm

An iron supply yard can custom order aluminum sheets or on a coil pretty much any size. That might get a little pricey.

I used standard size sheets with a couple splices in mine. Use a couple inch overlap at a spar. I used an aluminum flat strap over the seam. I used butyl tape at the joint, under the strap. I have one at the front, one at the vent, and one in the galley hatch. The screws you see in the first picture were just to tack the aluminum in place. I removed them, butyl taped the seam, then screwed through the aluminum strap and underlaying aluminum skin. I was worried about how they would look, but I think they fit in with all the other trim.

citylights
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue May 27, 2014 1:13 pm

I do a lap seam on my roof but do it in a manner opposite of this photo.
It's best to have the leading edge going away from highway driven rain much like how you'd roof a house from falling rain.
I use 3M VHB tape to hold the lap seam together and use aluminum counter top trim & sealant over the seams just as an extra measure.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rickp » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks, I may give the overlap a try. With burly tape should be water tight.... :)
rickp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eggsalad » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:40 pm

citylights wrote:An iron supply yard can custom order aluminum sheets or on a coil pretty much any size. That might get a little pricey.

Which metal supply did you go to, city? and how thick is your aluminum? .019 or .025 is proving tough to find in Vegas.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby woodenshoe » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:16 am

Southern aluminum finishing in Atlanta sells 60x120 in.040. Will ship to you covered in plastic sheet. Mill finish, no anodizing, not cheap but nice seamless skin on my 5x10 Grumman.
woodenshoe
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bill T » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:55 pm

I got some 103" wide .040 thick Aluminum from Wabash trailers in West Sacramento. They us it for the tops of semi trailers. I think they have locations around the country.
Bill T
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets