Skinning with Strip Wood

Finishes, paints and coatings

Skinning with Strip Wood

Postby Tobit » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:31 am

Has anyone ever skinned a camper using cedar bead and cove strips like those used on wooden canoes and boats? I am thinking about it for my build.
Tobit
Teardrop Builder

Re: Skinning with Strip Wood

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:23 pm

I recall seeing pictures of two or three. Steve Fredrick used that method for his roof for his first build. (I bought his 260 page teardrop Build Manual and it's got some pics of that project in it –well worth purchasing I might add.) You might click on Hall of Fame at the top of this page and take a look for other strippers. They're there. Along with a hundred or two other ways to build!

Having built a Freedom 15 canoe that way, and a couple of aluminum sheathed teardrops, I think if I wanted to go with a woodie, I'd sure consider this, even though it's going to be a lot more labor intensive. I'd build my walls using the sandwich method and lay the cedar strips up on the framework/foam and then do the epoxy/glass layup while it's still horizontal. It'd be fairly straightforward. It looked like Fredrick laid his cedar strip roof over a 1/8" ply layer.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Juneaudave » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:37 pm

I built a stripper..Here is the SlumberMax website that has some of the details.

Hope you go for it! There are a number of stripper trailers on the site. They are all built a little different and I think they all look great!...Dave

Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ParTaxer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Beautiful trailer!

Mike W
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby prohandyman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:44 am

Yep did it also. Fun project. But no need to bead and cove. That is for going around a curved surface. If you are gluing them to a backer board like Luan just lay them flat against each other.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jeresci » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm considering a skin similar to the one used on the "Dinky Donk" teardrop that used small pieces of wood to cover the sides of the teardrop. I'm comfident I can get enough scrap pieces of hardwood from local sawmills and lumber yards, and really do look forward to seeing that kind of project through to its finish. My question is, "What would be the best adhesize for gluing those pieces to a plywood substrate?"
jeresci
Teardrop Inspector

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:10 pm

Conch Fritter uses resawn cedar strips. The strips are 3/16" thick and anywhere from 3/4"-2" in width. I cut them out of 2x6 and 2x8 rough cut western red cedar. There is no stain on them, but I chose the boards for the color, tints, grains. It took me about 3 weeks with my bandsaw and cut out about 1, 500 linear feet. My gallery has them laid out as I attempted to bookmatch the two sides. I have enough left over to do my front and rear designs plus my pirate chest tongue box. Oh, and the original boards were 12-14' long, cost was about $20 each and I think I used 5 or 6 total.

These were the boards laid out on the wall sections after the resaw. You'll notice the numbers, that was for my attempted bookmatch between the sides. It did not quite work out, as I broke a couple of strips, but they are very close.

Oh, and they are glued to the plywood backboard with TBII, then coated with the "mix" and final coating of 3 layers of spar poly. If you go through the gallery you'll see how they were attached, cut and finished.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets