Anodized vs. non? - Aluminum vs. filon

Finishes, paints and coatings

Anodized vs. non? - Aluminum vs. filon

Postby jandbsteardrop » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi,

We're in need of 6ft wide aluminum (by 10ft long sheet) and are having a hard time finding it. I've been told that it's best to get Anodized aluminum as well. For these reasons alone, we were thinking of going with filon instead....but I just talked to someone who said that filon has a hard time sticking and is trouble down the road.

We had a trailer frame built and they built it at 61" wide...making our build a lot more problematic....and more waste! Anyway, it would be great if someone out there had some answers! We do not want to have seems on our roof....a 10ft sheet would get me to the hatch (it's 9.5 ft)....but it needs to be 62" wide (due to walls covering the sidewalls).

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!
jandbsteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Anodized vs. non? - Aluminum vs. filon

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 pm

You could use aluminum from a truck & trailer supply business that carries 103" sheets that come off a coil.
I'll never use it again because is was scratched pretty bad and had to be sanded and polished extensively.
I now use anodized 48" x 120" sheets and use 3M VHB tape on the lap seams.
I wouldn't do it any other way now. :thumbsup:

In the past I've bought .050 mill finished aluminum in 60" x 144" sheets.
Check around locally for something like mentioned above if seams are out of the question for your build.
Good luck.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby jandbsteardrop » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:07 am

Great, thanks Danny. I'll do that. We really want to stay away from seams and filon just seems too difficult for mixed results. Will keep you posted, thanks.

Jack
jandbsteardrop
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:07 pm

I used anodized 4'x10' sheets. There are two transverse seams on our teardrop. I lapped the sheets by 3". The laps are sealed with 3M 4300. There are also fasteners (screws) at 12" o.c. I've had no leaks and no problems with the seams.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to Skinning secrets