Protecting wood sides on my teardrop

Finishes, paints and coatings

Protecting wood sides on my teardrop

Postby joebesse » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:14 pm

I have a teardrop with wooden sides which are painted with a latex type paint. Can someone recommend a coating that is more protective and that I can paint on. I would like it to be a clear coat since I like the tan color the teardrop has now. There is a company that advertises a paint for homes and industrial use, but they do not sell the coating in gallon sizes. My sides are 4'x8' so I guess 1 or 2 gallons would cover them. Thanks for help given on this topic. :thinking: :thinking:

[email protected]
joebesse
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Protecting wood sides on my teardrop

Postby dguff » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:22 pm

Houses with wood sides are frequently painted with latex paint and it lasts for many years totally unprotected. Why not just put on another coat of house paint in the tan color you like?

Jerome
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby joebesse » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks Jerome. I thought there was something I could add to prevent me from painting every 2 or 3 years.

Joe
joebesse
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kayakdlk » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:58 am

Not much info to go on in your post as to what the problem is, maybe pictures would help. Since you already used latex paint I do not know of any clear coat that will go over it

If sun is the issue, use the highest quality paint you can afford in a semi or gloss paint and wax it like a car to prevent UV sun fading.

Dan
Last edited by kayakdlk on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby coyote » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:19 am

I am dumb as a rock on that, but I took info here and put this Coronado Rust Scat polyurethane hi gloss enamel 31-36 accent base paint ( with no tint) on mine. So far, 1st year out, it is holding up,well, repels water, seems good. I went to an old discussion 2012 "clear exterior finish option" for help, Woodbutcher was extremely helpful. There seems to be about as many ways as people here to clear wood. I used One gal $50 got two coats. I just did this, and I am happy. But I think most everything will need maintenance every year or two. Good luck. Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby joebesse » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks Dan and Dave for your response. The wood is in good shape now, but I am thinking of the future. Just was wondering if a clear coat of something would help preserve the wood for the future. There is no problem. I guess I will leave it like it is. Thanks again for your help. Will post photos next week. Raining like the devil here in South Louisiana now.

Joe
:thumbsup:
joebesse
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ChasCABQ » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:07 pm

According to boat building sites: use epoxy from a boat or marine store and do small areas at a time. Pay attention to instructions regarding temperature which governs the amount of catalyst. Apply top coat (or coats) of compatible varnish.

If possible keep the trailer covered when not in use to minimize UV impacts.
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=61303
In 2016, I received a kidney transplant, finished my teardrop, and took it on the road! In 2017 I sold it and am back to car camping.
Thanks to all forum members who provided advice about my build and posted info to help me get started.
ChasCABQ
Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets