Canvas, TBIII On Exterior Plywood

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Canvas, TBIII On Exterior Plywood

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:18 am

Dale , just use what you can get locally ...
... some glues dry darker than others ... TB2 dries amber , TB3 is Brown ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks once again.
I found a supplier of the foamular foam today*bonus.
Never ending research it seems!
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 am

Quote: “ Never ending research it seems!” ..... Seems like it eh ? :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby andreuther » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:45 pm

Canvas, TBIII on exterior plywood and then some paint? Thats my plan and i'm "sticking" to it. :beer:
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:02 am

Good plan !!! :thumbsup: ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby doris s. » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Has anyone tried using Sunbrella material and then putting a clear coat of some kind over the material?
Maybe polyurethane?
Would it hold up like the canvas and exterior paint treatment?

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:53 am

It would depend on how paint stuck to sunbrella, really you should buy the cheaper fabric that matches the texture you want, the paint is the real protection.
Any fabric will fade in the sun, painted it cannot
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Danidog » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:28 am

I wouldn't think paint would/could penetrate sunbrella like it can canvas?

Time to get back to work on my little trailer. I just ordered some canvas from the Internet that has no seams and is preshrunk. The canvas I purchased from the big box store last fall was full of seams.
Danidog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doris s. » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:34 pm

I didn't think about the Sunbrella fabric repelling water/paint.
I could make a test board and see what happens.
Thanks for the info.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby Gold5one » Wed May 06, 2015 9:22 am

doris s. wrote:I didn't think about the Sunbrella fabric repelling water/paint.
I could make a test board and see what happens.
Thanks for the info.

Doris

Yes, I'm a big fan of doing test pieces- that's how I found out I could use CDX plywood on my walls. By accident I left a small piece of clear CDX in the backyard and picked it up a year later= no delams at all. The secret was finding CDX with very clear faces= takes time and a lot of sorting through bunks.
Waiting for a mockup test to yield results takes time and we know how short the building season is up north.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bradm » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:05 am

Great info in this thread! I'm still at the wall-building phase on my benroy right now, but starting to plan for covering.

Sam, I read your instructable and it's perfect. I'm going with canvas and TBII on my build. One question I haven't found an answer to yet...

When you are doing the glue -> canvas -> exterior paint process, are you throwing the first coat of paint onto the glue/canvas layer while it's still wet or waiting until that all sets up first then painting? My guess from prior painting projects would be that you let the glue and cloth set up and harden first then paint, but you mention impregnating the canvas, and I can't imagine that working well once the glue is cured.

Thanks for you instructable and to the whole community for an awesome forum.

Brad
bradm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby desertmoose » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:23 am

The glue just holds the canvas to the wood. it doesn't fill or impregnate the weave of the canvas.
Roll/ brush the glue on, smooth the canvas on and let it dry. Trim overlap at edges, brush glue at the overlap and wrap canvas around edge. Let dry. Apply canvas on other side the same way, and you end up with a double layer of canvas at the edges.
After all canvas is applied, paint with thinned paint so it soaks into the canvas. then paint to the desired finish.

Actually real easy to do.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby vitya-velik » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:50 pm

desertmoose wrote:We did our plywood with Titebond 2, canvas, and then exterior paint. Use the glue to fasten the canvas to the plywood. Roll it on, them smooth the canvas into place. Let it dry. You are now done with the Titebond. On top of the BARE canvas, put a coat of exterior house paint thinned about 50% so it soaks into the canvas. After that dries, use full strength paint until you get the look and coverage you want. Ours took 4 coats.

Titebond 2 works great. No need for the more expensive Titebond 3 since it is protected by the paint.

Others have used the Titebond on top of the canvas to try and cover the surface. But glue isn't made to cover, it sticks things together. Use it as intended and stick the canvas to the plywood. Then use the paint like it was intended, cover for waterproofing, appearance, and protection.

We used exterior latex. others have used exterior oil based. Our experience with the latex has been great. 2-1/2 years in the Nevada sun, snow, rain, and thousands of miles of towing. If I ever build another trailer, I WILL use the painted canvas covering.

Sam

What kind of canvas did you use?
vitya-velik
Teardrop Advisor

Postby desertmoose » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:57 pm

i used 10 oz canvas drop cloths from Harbor Freight. Cheap enough, especially with a coupon, but I did end up with a seam on the roof and sides since the drop cloths were sewn from small pieces. Look above the door and you can see one of the seams. We haven't had any trouble with having seams, other than appearance.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby Poorlytiedfly » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:15 pm

desertmoose wrote:We did our plywood with Titebond 2, canvas, and then exterior paint. Use the glue to fasten the canvas to the plywood. Roll it on, them smooth the canvas into place. Let it dry. You are now done with the Titebond. On top of the BARE canvas, put a coat of exterior house paint thinned about 50% so it soaks into the canvas. After that dries, use full strength paint until you get the look and coverage you want. Ours took 4 coats.

Titebond 2 works great. No need for the more expensive Titebond 3 since it is protected by the paint.

Others have used the Titebond on top of the canvas to try and cover the surface. But glue isn't made to cover, it sticks things together. Use it as intended and stick the canvas to the plywood. Then use the paint like it was intended, cover for waterproofing, appearance, and protection.

We used exterior latex. others have used exterior oil based. Our experience with the latex has been great. 2-1/2 years in the Nevada sun, snow, rain, and thousands of miles of towing. If I ever build another trailer, I WILL use the painted canvas covering. :thumbsup:

Sam

Great post, thanks for the pics.
Poorlytiedfly
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Skinning secrets