Almost Ready for Aluminum Skin...

Finishes, paints and coatings

Almost Ready for Aluminum Skin...

Postby MarcInBoise » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Walls are up, spars are in, interior luan is almost finished. Ready to install the fantastic vent that arrived today...
So does the aluminum go directly over the ceiling insulation, or is it better to put a strip of luan over the insulation, and the aluminum over the luan?
:thinking:
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Almost Ready for Aluminum Skin...

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:06 pm

MarcInBoise wrote:Walls are up, spars are in, interior luan is almost finished. Ready to install the fantastic vent that arrived today...
So does the aluminum go directly over the ceiling insulation, or is it better to put a strip of luan over the insulation, and the aluminum over the luan?
:thinking:

My first teardrop, a (commercial) Hunter that had been built in north Idaho had .060 (063"?) aluminum skinned directly on the spars.

On my DIY's I've put a layer of 1/8" BB ply over the top before I skin with .040. I also seal the ply with epoxy before I sheath. I be concerned that moisture is going to get under the aluminum –sooner or later. It would not be good to have it get in above the ceiling.

:thinking: I think

I just checked Grant's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/teardrops.net (of Li'l Bear Tagalongs (The old master teardrop builder) and he puts a layer of ply down first.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Almost Ready for Aluminum Skin...

Postby MarcInBoise » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks Tony, that's kind of the way I'm leaning too. As always, I appreciate the input!
Marc
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Skinning secrets