How to: Molding on a Floating Skin Install

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: How to: Molding on a Floating Skin Install

Postby mjewell5 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:06 pm

I owned a sailboat for several years, and found Butyl tape to seal all manner of deck fittings, ports, windows, etc. Has anyone tried it to install the molding? It would be a little tough to work with because it's pretty sticky, but I think it could be done.
mjewell5
Teardrop Builder

Postby dales133 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:36 am

Havnt triex butyl tape but i was toying with the idea of installing some trim with 3m double sided tape
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Diemjoe » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:43 am

I am ready to install the aluminum roof (woody sides). I just wanted to confirm how to screw the trim into the roof. I am floating the aluminum as suggested by many here. Does that mean that I don't put the screws through the aluminum skin when I screw the trim down?

Thanks
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby dmdc411 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:25 pm

I strapped down the skin, drilled all holes through the aluminum big enough so the screws would not catch the holes. I did not drill on the wood. Took it all apart, cleaned up the shavings, then layed the sheeting down glued the trim so it oozed out. This indicated to me a good seal. Put all screws in with sealant under the heads, snugged all down. It's messy, but we'll worth it. I still need to do a final gap check, and fill any before it gets a water check! Hope this helps. Good luck!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby Diemjoe » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks that is a good idea about drilling the bigger holes. I was hoping I was going to have to slice off a 1/2inch of the long size to keep the screws off of the aluminum.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets