Aluminum flashing at bottom front

Finishes, paints and coatings

Aluminum flashing at bottom front

Postby Diemjoe » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:09 pm

I am starting to plan out my aluminum skin. It seems to me that the bottom of the front of the cabin will get the most of any road wetness. How has builders prevented water from getting up under the aluminum skin? I was think a piece of 2 inch angle aluminum flashing would be a good start. Flashing underneath the skin. I would screw thru the skin and flashing into the front floor edge with additional silicon or similar sealant. Overkill? Anything easier?

Thanks

Don
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Re: Aluminum flashing at bottom front

Postby irgod32 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:36 pm

Diemjoe wrote:I am starting to plan out my aluminum skin. It seems to me that the bottom of the front of the cabin will get the most of any road wetness. How has builders prevented water from getting up under the aluminum skin? I was think a piece of 2 inch angle aluminum flashing would be a good start. Flashing underneath the skin. I would screw thru the skin and flashing into the front floor edge with additional silicon or similar sealant. Overkill? Anything easier?

Thanks

Don

Do you have any pictures of your trailer?
When I have build my trailers, before I install the skin I glue the heck out of all seems and the aluminum skin extends below the bottom edge of the cabin. There are many options you can use from trim to flashing like you'd like to do. There is even sealing tape that can be used at all seems before installing the trim. I guess the best thing to do is look at others TD trailers and see how they did it.
I hope this helps, good luck!
Tiny Trailer Builders of America
Build it and they will come
irgod32
Teardrop Master

Re: Aluminum flashing at bottom front

Postby yrock87 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:16 pm

I'm would also love to see what others have done.

as of now I have some darco trailer underbody fabric that I plan to use. I am going to secure it on all four sides with a piece of aluminum trim and butyl tape. well, aluminum trim or maybe just under the aluminum skin itself... not sure yet.

my sides will be woodie, with either a 4 inch diamond plate or wood "trim molding" along the bottom.
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Return to Skinning secrets