Cold weather skinning?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Cold weather skinning?

Postby lfhoward » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Bad idea?

There may be some 40 degree days this winter that might coincide with good weather and a weekend. If I could skin my trailer on a day like that, is it a good idea or bad idea? (This is an outdoor build.)

I know that a 10 foot sheet of aluminum will expand 1/4 inch over about 100 degrees of temperature change.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/linear-thermal-expansion-d_1379.html
Assuming full sun beating down on it in summer, that might not be too unrealistic if installed on a cold day. That could lead to some serious oil-canning in summer!

So, here are my questions. is it better to...
1) Trim edges flush to the TD (as per usual SOP with a flush bit router) or trim sheets 1/8" narrower than the wall/roof on all sides?
2) Drill out screw holes larger than the screw to allow for expansion, or not?
3) Is there anything else I should consider? For example, will butyl tape be soft enough to work with and make a good seal on a cold day?

Thanks for your feedback. I am trying to decide whether to batten down the hatches and wait for spring, or take the opportunity to do some skinning if a nice winter day arises. The groundhog didn't see his shadow today, so spring should come early, right? :FNP
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Cold weather skinning?

Postby irgod32 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:10 pm

I don't know where you live but, Dang it's cold there!

1) Trim edges flush to the TD (as per usual SOP with a flush bit router) or trim sheets 1/8" narrower than the wall/roof on all sides?
My experience has been that you will get some expansion no matter what. If the type of corner trim you are using allows you to trim 1/8" I would do it. I allow 1/8" on my builds and I use the standard (1/2" x 1" x 12') corner trim. I usually flush trim the aluminum around the door, the Door Trim Edging doesn't allow for much.

2) Drill out screw holes larger than the screw to allow for expansion, or not?
I'm not sure where you are installing screw holes but I will put drip edge over the doors and drill the hole the same size allowed for the screw. My theory is that the drip edge is screwed in tight to the side walls and the aluminum will expand out from it's location.

3) Is there anything else I should consider? For example, will butyl tape be soft enough to work with and make a good seal on a cold day?
I think it best to use the Butyl tape as MFG recommends. Here is a video suggesting to use a blow dryer to warm up the Butyl tape in colder weather https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UIFNPKWFzU
I hope this helps, Post pictures of your build
Robert
Central California
Tiny Trailer Builders of America
Build it and they will come
irgod32
Teardrop Master

Return to Skinning secrets