Bending 0.040 aluminum sheets

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Bending 0.040 aluminum sheets

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:22 pm

If your thinking of doing the bends yourself :roll: you may be interested in what Nobody did several years ago.
There are drawings of his homemade brake on the previous page.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby oddie121 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:47 am

Here are some brake press plans i found i awhile ago. Not sure if this will be strong enough for what you need but seems like it would be.
http://www.cannedhamtrailers.com/pdfs/d ... eplans.pdf
oddie121
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JaggedEdges » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Nice find, I bet if you only wanted to bend 0.020, you could gin it up out of old bed rails and a bent piece of conduit for the handle.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby TheOtherSean » Sun May 01, 2016 9:19 pm

Have you looked into renting a bending brake?

Another option is a homemade bending brake. I can't find the web page I used for building mine, but I had good luck with bending up to 0.050" thick aluminum up to 48" wide up to about 140 degrees. There are a number of articles out there on how to build one yourself, using hinges, steel angle (and/or wood), and clamps or bolt/nut sets. It wasn't too hard or expensive to build - probably about three hours work and less than $100 for everything - nor was it hard to learn how to use.

I found the article - but not the original website. See http://www.cannedhamtrailers.com/pdfs/davesbrakeplans.pdf for the article that I used as the basis of my build. I went with smaller sized steel angle since I was only going up to 48" long, rather than the 96" the author used.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby lfhoward » Wed May 04, 2016 6:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I found a shop to do the bending here locally and got the sheets back today. They look fantastic and fit like a glove on the trailer, so I am not unhappy to spend the money to get it done right. I did end up going with the shop that quoted me $150. They had great customer service even though it was a small job for their size outfit. I am happy to support local business. No regrets.

If I were going to build multiple trailers, I think I would consider making a brake as some have suggested. Thanks for the link to the how-to thread. I'll keep it bookmarked for future reference.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets