Straight wood on outside?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Straight wood on outside?

Postby mrpaige » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Hey everyone, I'm I'm the early stages of building my teardrop and I'm torn between the aluminum skinning or to have wood on the outside. The wood looks so classy to me and I love it but I know I will have more upkeep on it compared to the aluminum. Does anyone have any ideas on how to possibly have wood out the outside but keep it safe and protected with as little maintenance as possible throughout the years? Or if I'm even worried about that then that means I'm best just sticking with aluminum.
mrpaige
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Straight wood on outside?

Postby KennethW » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:20 pm

Wood does look really nice when kept up. I have not heard of anyone storing a woody outside for say 5 years and saying it looks like new. All that I have heard is two years then refinsh.
I may be wrong.(glass?) Hey guys, Prove me wrong.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:59 pm

Is it difficult to glass over planking/uneven surface.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Nobes » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:51 pm

I'm building a woodie right now and if I had it to do over again I would go with aluminum. You can have no holes, scratches, marks, screws, etc on the outside. I haven't done one with aluminum, but from the pics and posts of others it sure seems easier.

Price of aluminum v fiberglass is similar, but if you add the clear coat on top of the glass the aluminum is cheaper. I am looking at an automotive clear coat finish on top of the glass and it is +$500.

Woodie look, however, can't be beat!
Nobes
Teardrop Master

Postby mrpaige » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:31 pm

I know the Woody look is sooo beautiful! But I think I have found a cute design to paint on the aluminum finally after a very long time arguing with myself on what style to do. Now lets see if I stick with my "final design" all the way through the construction :)

I also have no place to store a Woody except for outside so aluminum siding is the best option for me at this time. Maybe down the line my next one will be a Woody when I have a place to safely store it.
mrpaige
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets