Taking Care of my new Aluminum Wonder

Finishes, paints and coatings

Taking Care of my new Aluminum Wonder

Postby rockinrukes1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:22 pm

Part 1: Removing Oxidation
Stored incorrectly, some of the sheet aluminum got some white oxidation crap on it, and could use some opinions on the best method for buffing it out. So far the compounds I have purchased at the local auto store is making minimal impact.
I've been told about 3M pads on an air motor -- or an orbital sander?
Would love to hear other people's successes with this. Will I get swirl marks?

Part 2: Deterring future Oxidation!
Teardrop has been stored a whole week outside, was rained on once, and it seems like mini waterspots and start of oxidation everywhere. I am a real newbie here and would love advice on washing her, and once buffed, what kind of wax or coating should I use??

:? :?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Liz
rockinrukes1
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Taking Care of my new Aluminum Wonder

Postby Rick Tyler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Do an Internet search on "polishing airstream." Those folks are fanatics about nice-looking aluminum... Good luck!
Rick Tyler
Teardrop Builder

Postby 3GKnight » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:04 pm

While I don't have a suggesting for how to properly handle it, I would share that I'm not happy with how mine turned out after mechanically sanding it. It's a brushed aluminum look and I have yet to find that happy medium that looks like factory anodized aluminum. As far as I can tell, it's either mechanically sanded at a 800 grit, manually sanded to much finer (maybe 4000? and closer to anodized) or mechanically polished. I went so far as mechanical sanding at 800. I may...may...polish it over the winter months. Mostly for something to do. Manually sanding sounds like way too much work.

Good luck though. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby Windwalker55 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:02 pm

rockinrukes1 wrote:Part 1: Removing Oxidation
Stored incorrectly, some of the sheet aluminum got some white oxidation crap on it, and could use some opinions on the best method for buffing it out. So far the compounds I have purchased at the local auto store is making minimal impact.
I've been told about 3M pads on an air motor -- or an orbital sander?
Would love to hear other people's successes with this. Will I get swirl marks?

Part 2: Deterring future Oxidation!
Teardrop has been stored a whole week outside, was rained on once, and it seems like mini waterspots and start of oxidation everywhere. I am a real newbie here and would love advice on washing her, and once buffed, what kind of wax or coating should I use??

:? :?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Liz

I just restored a 1959 Century that was all aluminum. The polishing was the hardest part of the job. I used Nuvite polishes to do mine and was pleased with the results. Here is a link.

http://www.nuvitechemical.com/c-56-meta ... ystem.aspx

Hope this helps.
Windwalker55
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Use Mothers Aluminum Polish and a decent buffer and you'll end up with a semi gloss finish.
It works quite well for mill finish aluminum.
If you use something that makes it really shiny then every time someone touches it there's a scratch from their finger prints, they act like sandpaper.
I used it on two teardrops and I was very happy with the results.
It's available at most auto parts stores and online.
I'd follow it up with an aluminum sealer and protectant.
I use Sprayway window cleaner and a micro fiber towel to remove the black goo from polishing.
ImageImage
They also have a great stainless steel cleaner that will also help in removing the black goo.
Get ready for a dirty job that takes quite some time.
Anodized aluminum is the only kind I'll put on a teardrop, no need to polish it.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Redneck Teepee » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:20 pm

This is the best I have found for polish and sealing.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c ... etal+gloss
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Prototear » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:44 pm

Like Danny, I have used Mothers Aluminum Polish but so far I've managed to use it in a few places during my build. My aluminum skin is very oxidized because I bought my aluminum from a shop that was closing for a great price but it had no protective film on it. It leaves a black gooey mess to wipe off so I learned to wear gloves (its the black oxidation coming loose and mixing into the creamy polish). I later discovered that before using the polish, lightly rubbing the skin with fine steel wool gets some of the oxidation off and leaves a dust that is easy to sweep or vacuum so that less of a mess is created with the polish. Don't rub the steel wool too hard or you'll leave scratches in the aluminum.
Steve
First Build: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=57021
Prototear
Silver Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets