Cutting Aluminum

Finishes, paints and coatings

Cutting Aluminum

Postby Windwalker55 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:19 pm

This is probably a silly question, but what is the best way to cut aluminum neatly, without causing a ragged edge?
Thanks for you help.
Windwalker55
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Cutting Aluminum

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:38 pm

I just helped a friend install the aluminum siding on his trailer last week. He used a blade made for aluminum in his hand held jigsaw/saber saw. Cut with the good side done. It worked great. Much better then a router with a flush bit.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Windwalker55 wrote:This is probably a silly question, but what is the best way to cut aluminum neatly, without causing a ragged edge?
Thanks for you help.

First of all, cover the aluminum that will be exposed to tool bottoms with a layer of blue-painters tape.

I've had good luck with most any very fine-toothed jigsaw blade. I cut to within an 3/16" of the finished line, set the piece in place and attach. I then use a flush trim (wth a bearing) router bit to finish it off. Wear good eye protection because the chips are going everywhere.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby SSTear » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Bosch Uni-Shears ...cuts thru .050 aluminum like butta. I wouldn't have done my build without it. This guy will shear up to 20 ga sst. 16ga steel
SSTear
Teardrop Builder

Return to Skinning secrets