Liquid Roof Question

Finishes, paints and coatings

Liquid Roof Question

Postby asdedmon » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm almost done with my build... I'm looking to coat the entire thing in liquid roof. I've seen a camper on here that's done this successfully. I'm curious how you would paint the sides without it running off of it. Thanks in advance
asdedmon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Liquid Roof Question

Postby Tomterrific » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:36 pm

I brushed on solvent base elastomeric roof coating on my roof. It is kind of gloppy but it drys thick. You can use it on the sides, just brush it thin so it doesn't drip.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:45 pm

It does not flow particularly well. So it may adhere.

You might want to tilt the trailer. Most likely horizontal is too far. But even some non-vertical might help.

I am not sure if it is waterproof. It does seal well if the holes are not too big. And water runs off it. Our (bad) flat roof has lots of standing water. The elastomeric material failed while total immersed and left that way for weeks/months. I doubt it was meant for that type of environment. I doubt your TD will be that way either. However, .... Something like FlexSeal might work better. Just a thought.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby asdedmon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:22 am

Thanks for the responses. I thought about flex seal but I just don't trust something that good for that cheap. According to liquid roof's website it is waterproof, and it has some stellar reviews. Since there aren't any holes, and the edges will have molding, I think I'm safe. I will consider leaning it though if it starts to run down!

In other news, I've never even shared my build on here. Here's a quick one, if you want to see more feel free to look at it on instagram. I got tired of hoarding the pictures so I keep them on there on it's own page. @901TravelingTrailer. Thanks again.

asdedmon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:06 pm

Have you considered painting the sides? That's what I did. Roof stuff on the top and paint on the sides.
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby asdedmon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:26 am

I haven't! I just figured the rubber would be more resistant than normal paint. Besides the fact that it's easier to put on, what do you think the pros/cons are here? I would also have to factor in buying a can of paint! I'm a college student and this build has been narrowed down to the most cost efficient routes, so that's a factor for sure. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I liquid roof'd the whole thing, sides and all. I had no problems with it running, I rolled it on. It looks great in my opinion, thanks for the input!
asdedmon
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets