Skinning a 5x10x5 teardrop with 4x8 Luan

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Skinning a 5x10x5 teardrop with 4x8 Luan

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:12 pm

Thanks for the advice to get this plywood.

That's what this forum is all about. Something like pay it forward.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby closecuddlin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:46 pm

I am building my 1st teardrop. I am using various thickness of Baltic birch throughout. Its a 5 wide x 9 long box. I am planning to use 1/8 " as an outer skin, covered by a double layer of Upol brand spray on bedliner coating over the entire outer surfaces, masking off the doors, roof vent, frame rails. I'm using TB III on all wood to wood joint areas and the outer vertical edges to the roof skin . I dont like the looks of the aluminum trim molding at that area and was wondering if any one has another idea what I can do to make that seam waterproof, and if you think I should double up the roof skin by bonding a second layer of 1/8" onto the first one. ..or not? Has anyone ever heard of bedliner coating used on a teardrop? I dont mind the irregular surface and It would actually seal up what the cartridge sealer misses. Thanks...Steve in Oregon
closecuddlin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:07 pm

closecuddlin wrote:I am building my 1st teardrop. I am using various thickness of Baltic birch throughout. Its a 5 wide x 9 long box. I am planning to use 1/8 " as an outer skin, covered by a double layer of Upol brand spray on bedliner coating over the entire outer surfaces, masking off the doors, roof vent, frame rails. I'm using TB III on all wood to wood joint areas and the outer vertical edges to the roof skin . I dont like the looks of the aluminum trim molding at that area and was wondering if any one has another idea what I can do to make that seam waterproof, and if you think I should double up the roof skin by bonding a second layer of 1/8" onto the first one. ..or not? Has anyone ever heard of bedliner coating used on a teardrop? I dont mind the irregular surface and It would actually seal up what the cartridge sealer misses. Thanks...Steve in Oregon

Here's a great build that was done with a bedliner product... over epoxy. I think you could get into trouble––down the road–– without the epoxy.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=57065

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ssuuki19 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:01 am

I just posted a thread about a very similar situation, well its on the inside, but that price is amazing even with the exchange I'd take it. Just starting looking into ordering 1/8 product of any kind and realizing the pickings are slim, retail.. I'm going to do the exact same thing and see what I can find. It'd be nice to see some pics of that Baltic Birch as it arrives..

How does sealant get on my triceps and then my car seat?? more than once??
Aluminum is almost as fascinating as wood.
Link to my build thread: 4 1/2 x 9
ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Postby MarcInBoise » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:30 am

I did what was suggested in post #2, laying 2 pieces flat on the ground and gluing them together with a 3 or 4" strip.
I then sponged water on the back side which made them very pliable. Bending them to fit was no issue at all.
And I used gorilla glue to make the bond, which likes the damp wood.

I've had ZERO issues.
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ditchdoctor » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:02 pm

Where does one find 5 foot wide baltic birch plywood.

Steve
ditchdoctor
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:07 pm

I found it from several places in Chicago area. After several tries "baltic birch plywood 5 x 5 chicago" hit the mark. They tend to lumber stores serving the trade, not homowner.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby wingloader » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:16 am

I found mine at a specialty lumber yard that was only 5 miles from my house!! :thumbsup:

I didn't know it but all baltic birch ply is 5X5. Who knew.

They had to order it from somewhere else. It took a week to get it. I couldn't believe it was only $15 per sheet. I think any specialty lumber place would be able to order it for you provided you have one within a reasonable distance from where you live. You *may* be able to get a Home Depot to order it for you but not likely.

I bought a sheet of 4x8 1/8" hardwood ply from Lowes for around $15 per sheet. But that stuff is NOT bendable.
It takes a big man to cry, and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.
--jack handy
wingloader
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:48 am

Take a scrap of that 1/8" Baltic and throw it in a bucket of water. Two weeks later it still won't be delaminated.

I wouldn't bet my wagon on luan.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:54 am

Interestingly, the supplier near me has both 5 x 5 and 4 x 8.

https://www.owlhardwood.com/baltic-birch.html
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets