Ready to skin... I think

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Ready to skin... I think

Postby Rasmateo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 am

8 diameters = about 1.5 ", got it. I'm a newbie! Full stem ahead, I'm going for it today! Thanks again.
Rasmateo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:15 am

Rasmateo wrote:8 diameters = about 1.5 ", got it. I'm a newbie! Full stem ahead, I'm going for it today! Thanks again.

You got it. A "diameter" just refers to the diameter of whatever hole you're drilling or fastener you're using. So, for instance, if you were designing a super-strong structural connection with 1/2-inch bolts, then you wouldn't want them spaced more than 8 diameters apart, or about 4 inches (8 * 0.5 = 4).

Anyways, end of the math lesson. Good luck, and good work!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby rruff » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:11 pm

aggie79 wrote:I lapped my aluminum and used 3M 4200 sealant on the overlaps. Another good sealant available at most box stores is OSI Quad.

Sorry for the segue but how is the bonding capability of that material? I'm thinking about bonding some light windows into foam/fiberglass panels and ditching mechanical fasteners. I'd like it fairly strong of course, but not so tough that I couldn't chisel them out at some point.

Based on some videos I've seen online of custom trailer construction, we could pretty much eliminate fasteners if we wanted.
rruff
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets