Aluminum skinning help!

Finishes, paints and coatings

Aluminum skinning help!

Postby cleric40 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:23 am

Hi Guys,

I need some help or input from those that have skinned. Last night I attempted to install roof aluminum (0.040in) and having some trouble getting it to lay flat or flush and stay there.

I followed suggestions of fastening with screws at front and then pulling back towards final hinge spar with straps but it doesn’t seem to want to pull down. I still have big “bulges” or pop outs after tightening. I don’t want to screw it on the back spar if not tight. I am not using any adhesive, nails or stapes. Simply screws at front bottom edge and rear spar.

So my question, how tight/flat/flush do you guys get it? Does it need to be essentially perfectly flush and flat all across faces of roof? I seem to be able to get the edges tight if I push or clamp but I worry that towards the center it is puffing up.

I obviously plan to install edge trim but cant yet without the side skins installed. (I'm hoping this will help "pin things down)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I tried to get some pictures but was too dark. Here is one bad one…
Attachments
td al.jpg
td al.jpg (572.76 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
cleric40
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Aluminum skinning help!

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:55 am

Try using some "stickers."

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby cleric40 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:50 am

Hi Tony!

Thanks I actually based my first attempt last night off of your picture below but perhaps i didn't have enough braces.

I assume by stickers you mean the wood braces?

The other issue i ran into was that where my straps were putting pressure on my rear galley cabinet :( so i was worried it was going to damage it.

As a follow on question, after you get it tight and screw into the last spar and remove straps, does it pop up or "spring back" ? Or stay tight forming to the profile.?
cleric40
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 am

As a follow on question, after you get it tight and screw into the last spar and remove straps, does it pop up or "spring back" ? Or stay tight forming to the profile.?

I thought I responded. You've probably got it all down now.

It still floats of course but there should not be much spring-back when the trim is on.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets