Skinning with FRP?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Skinning with FRP?

Postby trfkcop » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:24 am

Thinking of using FRP to skin, and concerned about UV protection. Would using a commercial vinyl wrap be feasible?
trfkcop
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Skinning with FRP?

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:56 am

Are you talking about a commercial plastic wrap for, say, vehicle paint protection?

If so, I might call the manufacturer? Off the top of my head, I don't know what wavelength of sunlight ruins plastic, and which ruins paint. I'm sure ultraviolet is the main culprit, but point being, it's not a guarantee that a commercial paint protection wrap will block the proper spectrum.

And when you say FRP, does this mean the thin white plastic sheets sold at the Big Box Stores for $30/sheet or so?
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Re: Skinning with FRP?

Postby greygoos » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:28 am

There has been some discussions on here on the use of FRP from the box stores which is actually sold as shower lining. Some guys have painted and others have not. I dont remember seeing anyone complain about it either way. There have also been discussions about vinyl wrap and it is my understanding that most vinyl wraps have a life expectancy of 5 years or so. Do a search on the top of the page and you will pretty much find all kinds of info.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets