Help skinning with .063 alum

Finishes, paints and coatings

Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby jaydon44 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:25 pm

Hey guys I’ve been working on my off-road style tear for about 5 years, it’s more like garage furniture at this point, but I’m working hard now to get it done

I’m from Canada and had a hard sourcing 5 foot wide aluminum long enough to do a seemless roof the best I could get was a 5x12x.063 in 3003 from ryerson in Calgary

My issue is that I don’t have a radial shape to my camper, I have 3 hard corners to bend around; I’ll attach a picture, I know the best way would be to drop off the trailer and sheet of alum at a fab shop and get them to do it for me and it might come down to that

I did try and build a metal brake, it didn’t go well... don’t think I’ll be trying that again

I was going to try and do it the conventional way with boards and straps and muscle but once I start I’m committed and want to make sure I’m making the right choice

Image

Image

Image

Those pictures are a little old but u can understand the shape and my dilemma from them at least

The 12 feet will stretch from the first angle on the front over the whole roof to the bottom of the panel at the back that has the hatch opening... if that explains it well enough the front panel and the lower back end panel will be separate alum .125 diamond plate

I have a build thread at expedition portal, not sure if I’m allowed to post links in this thread I will if someone tells me it’s ok

First time posting at tnttt I’ve learned a lot from u guys and this forum, couldn’t have even started without it

Thanks in advance for any help/tips


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaydon44
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:06 pm

I didn't catch if you'd already purchased the aluminum. If not, how set are you on sheathing in aluminum?

If you haven't, I'd consider doing a lightweight fiberglass/epoxy layer and then going the Monstiliner route. Or similar bedliner.

I've done three 'drops in .040. I'd guess that 063 would really up the ante. If I were in your shoes and chose to go with .063, I'd consider taking a sidewall pattern to a sheetmetal outfit and have them do the bends.

:thinking:

Tony
Image
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 2875
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere

Re: Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby KTM_Guy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Some rental centers rent Aluminum siding brakes but those are rated to .030 of soft alu. but at 10'. You'll never get a crisp bend with any other method other than a break.

How confident are you that your joints are perfectly square to the edge? Because a metal break will bend perfect 90 degree to the edge. If you are off even by 1/16" by the time you get to the second bend things can really be out of wack. You my not get the nice fit you are hoping for. How a good lay-out guy can make it work out but that cost time and time is money.

Another option, and probably not what you want, is to cut the sheet to your flat areas and get some 1/16" X 1.5" or 2" Aluminum flat bar and have that bent to the angles you need, then use VHB tape and screws to attach it over the corners. I would think it would be much cheaper having a few bends made that having them fit the sheet goods.

Good luck.
Todd
User avatar
KTM_Guy
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 319
Images: 137
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 am
Location: Mesa, AZ near Usery
Top

Re: Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby jaydon44 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 am

Hey thanks a lot guys, little more for me to think about, I’m heading down to the metal shop tomorrow that the RV supply store recommended to me, i have to get some light diamond plate bent into 90 degree angle strips that ill be using for my roof corner trim
I’m hoping to make friends and tell them the whole story, what i got and what i need, if they will take it on...depending on the cost I’d be willing to bring my sheet of aluminum and tow the trailer to them and let them have at it

But yes i have already bough the aluminum :S

I know what you mean about being off by a smidge and it being mangled/wont fit thats why I’m opting to either force form it myself over the corners and settle for the soft angles that would be produced, or drop it all off at the metal shop and prey, they would need the trailer present I’m sure to be able to do it properly, “you measure it; you cut it” principle

But ya thanks a lot for the responses, keep em coming, I’ll touch base after ive had a conversation at the metal shop


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jaydon44
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:27 pm
Top

Re: Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:26 am

Keep us posted. I think it'll come together just fine. I bet the sheet metal guys embrace your project.

:thumbsup:

Tony
Image
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 2875
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby irgod32 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm

jaydon44 wrote:Hey guys I’ve been working on my off-road style tear for about 5 years, it’s more like garage furniture at this point, but I’m working hard now to get it done

I’m from Canada and had a hard sourcing 5 foot wide aluminum long enough to do a seemless roof the best I could get was a 5x12x.063 in 3003 from ryerson in Calgary

My issue is that I don’t have a radial shape to my camper, I have 3 hard corners to bend around; I’ll attach a picture, I know the best way would be to drop off the trailer and sheet of alum at a fab shop and get them to do it for me and it might come down to that

I did try and build a metal brake, it didn’t go well... don’t think I’ll be trying that again

I was going to try and do it the conventional way with boards and straps and muscle but once I start I’m committed and want to make sure I’m making the right choice

Image

Image

Image

Those pictures are a little old but u can understand the shape and my dilemma from them at least

The 12 feet will stretch from the first angle on the front over the whole roof to the bottom of the panel at the back that has the hatch opening... if that explains it well enough the front panel and the lower back end panel will be separate alum .125 diamond plate

I have a build thread at expedition portal, not sure if I’m allowed to post links in this thread I will if someone tells me it’s ok

First time posting at tnttt I’ve learned a lot from u guys and this forum, couldn’t have even started without it

Thanks in advance for any help/tips


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I made a similar looking trailer and had the same issue. I also used 5ft aluminum sheets but I used .40 thick. I mad a break made of 2X4's and 1" pipe. Even though this made rounded corners, when I put the corner trim on, I was able to bend the aluminum sheet at the corners to 22.5*. I don't know what type of trim you will use but I pre-stapled the aluminum sheet before I installed the trim. I also used 2 sheets of aluminum to cover the top and part of the front. I used caulking and a strip of aluminum at the seam.
I really like your idea on how you're making the fenders, I may steal you idea on my next build. Do you have an idea as to how much it will weigh when you're done? Mine weighs about 800lbs. I'm a firm believer if you want to trek where no trailers have gone (IE. "Off Road Trailer"). You want to pull the lightest trailer you can. Some of these off road trailers can weigh in excess of 3500lbs. Yes they might have all the bells and whistles, but weight is important when going deep into no mans land.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions
Tiny Trailer Builders of America
Image
Build it and they will come
User avatar
irgod32
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 89
Images: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:04 pm
Top

Re: Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby jaydon44 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:16 pm

tony.latham wrote:Keep us posted. I think it'll come together just fine. I bet the sheet metal guys embrace your project.

:thumbsup:

Tony


Well you were right, I found a custom fab shop in town and the guys there we awesome to talk to and jacked to help with the project, they took me right into the shop and showed me their equipment and explained how they would do it so they have agreed to help me see this thing through just a matter of getting some fenders and lights on the trailer so it’s road worthy and I can tow it down there for them to have to make their own measurements


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaydon44
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:27 pm
Top

Re: Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby jaydon44 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:18 pm

Thanks for all the responses and help, I’m finally starting to see the light

Just finished the tongue box yesterday and that was a huge milestone
Image
Image
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaydon44
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:27 pm
Top

Re: Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:58 pm

Thats great news. It's great to find places like that. When I was living up north I had a small sheetmetal shop I would go to to get stuff bent. I would bring in a pizza or some beef sandwiches and they would bend the stuff or let me do it. And the funny thing was at the time I was working as a field foreman for a very lager sheetmetal HVAC company. I couldn't use our own shop for personal stuff. :?

I need to find a place where I live now with a press break that won't charge an arm and leg.

Todd
User avatar
KTM_Guy
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 319
Images: 137
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:50 am
Location: Mesa, AZ near Usery
Top

Re: Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby irgod32 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Just curious, What is your anticipated weight of the trailer? What are you shooting for?
How is the build going? I noticed it doesn't have a galley, is that what the front box is for?
So I am guessing it's a 8' long, 4'tall from the frame up, and 5'wide?
Tiny Trailer Builders of America
Image
Build it and they will come
User avatar
irgod32
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 89
Images: 49
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:04 pm
Top

Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby jaydon44 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 pm

irgod32 wrote:Just curious, What is your anticipated weight of the trailer? What are you shooting for?
How is the build going? I noticed it doesn't have a galley, is that what the front box is for?
So I am guessing it's a 8' long, 4'tall from the frame up, and 5'wide?


I’m shooting for under 2500lbs, but’s it’s heavier every time I work on it haha, the build is taking a LONNG time but it’s going pretty well, I DO have a type of galley it’s just an RV door instead of a huge hatch door that opens to a mini freezer and stove and water jug, it’s accessible from inside the sleeping quarters as well for the cold/bad weather

I’ll try to find a picture that shows that a little better


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaydon44
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:27 pm
Top

Re: Help skinning with .063 alum

Postby jaydon44 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:42 pm

jaydon44 wrote:
irgod32 wrote:Just curious, What is your anticipated weight of the trailer? What are you shooting for?
How is the build going? I noticed it doesn't have a galley, is that what the front box is for?
So I am guessing it's a 8' long, 4'tall from the frame up, and 5'wide?


I’m shooting for under 2500lbs, but’s it’s heavier every time I work on it haha, the build is taking a LONNG time but it’s going pretty well, I DO have a type of galley it’s just an RV door instead of a huge hatch door that opens to a mini freezer and stove and water jug, it’s accessible from inside the sleeping quarters as well for the cold/bad weather

I’ll try to find a picture that shows that a little better


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaydon44
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:27 pm
Top


Return to Skinning secrets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest