Monstaliner questions!

Finishes, paints and coatings

Monstaliner questions!

Postby BretMaverick » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 pm

Seems a lot of people like the bed liner option and Monstaliner comes fairly highly recommenced in that category, so I was curious, to the people who have coated their trailer with Monstailner, how many gallons did it take, and how many coats did you apply when you did it? Their website seems to recommend 2 coats but as this is not a standard application I wasn't sure if people used more or less.

Thanks!
BretMaverick
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:10 pm
Location: Chandler AZ

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby capital369 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:01 pm

I have sprayed bedliners for 24 years and I'v sprayed a TT 8 years ago. I can tell you when you get a leek ( and you will ).... it will fail. I have a $35,000 spray rig .. skids of material ... and I'm going metal for my next build... Kevin
capital369
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:46 am

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby tony.latham » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:09 pm

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=65559#p1163330

I think Dan aka kayakdlk said he used two gallons.

T
Image
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 2674
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby clamlamp » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:30 pm

capital369 wrote:I have sprayed bedliners for 24 years and I'v sprayed a TT 8 years ago. I can tell you when you get a leek ( and you will ).... it will fail. I have a $35,000 spray rig .. skids of material ... and I'm going metal for my next build... Kevin
How does it fail? Is it sun exposure over time or vibration cracks? Just curious on your experience

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
User avatar
clamlamp
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 pm
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby BretMaverick » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:27 pm

clamlamp wrote:
capital369 wrote:I have sprayed bedliners for 24 years and I'v sprayed a TT 8 years ago. I can tell you when you get a leek ( and you will ).... it will fail. I have a $35,000 spray rig .. skids of material ... and I'm going metal for my next build... Kevin
How does it fail? Is it sun exposure over time or vibration cracks? Just curious on your experience

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk



I was just going to ignore his comment as 1, Monstaliner is roll on not spray on, 2, they make their product for multiple purposes, and 3, he spelled leek wrong. Either that or he meant he suddenly had leeks which would be super bizarre. if bedliners cause leeks to grow all over the place maybe I don't want it!
BretMaverick
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:10 pm
Location: Chandler AZ
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby Andrew Herrick » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:52 pm

Funny, I'm about to try out Monstaliner on a "spare parts" camper. I'm excited to try it out. After speaking with a Monstaliner representative, they recommend coating the wood with a high-gloss oil-based polyurethane prior to rolling or spraying on the Monstaliner.

Two coats of Monstaliner should cover 120 square feet at 40 mil thickness. That's as thick as a standard aluminum skin, for reference.

My initial thoughts are that thickness doesn't necessarily equal coverage? I mean, if I qiuckly roll on the coating and don't pay attention to roll it out smoothly in multiple passes, then it'll be thick but full of patches and pinholes. I would think a 40 mil coating, if consistently rolled, would be sufficient. If PMF can keep out water, surely Monstaliner can!

And yeah, I'm not sure about the comment about "leeks." Any exterior can leak. But with Monstaliner, if you do ever get damage, you can just roll on a new coat. And if you coat your entire exterior with the proper primer, such as polyurethane, then the shell's already mostly waterproofed ... right? My 2 cents, anyway.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage


SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
User avatar
Andrew Herrick
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 262
Images: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:39 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby BretMaverick » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:54 am

Ya, my current plan was to polyurethane the heck out of it before putting on the Monstaliner anyway, 3 coats seems to be the magic number with poly so far for everything I've done on this project. Hopefully skinning my trailer this weekend and if everything goes well, putting the Monstaliner on in 2-3 weeks. I "think" I will need 3 gallons total to complete the 2 coats, but I kind of stink at math lol.
BretMaverick
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:10 pm
Location: Chandler AZ
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby tony.latham » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:52 am

...with a high-gloss oil-based polyurethane..


Andrew:

I wonder why a high gloss? Did they elaborate on that?

Tony
Image
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 2674
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:37 am

tony.latham wrote:
...with a high-gloss oil-based polyurethane..


Andrew:

I wonder why a high gloss? Did they elaborate on that?

Tony


I was told specifically no satin or semi-gloss finishes because satin finishes have a wax in them that make topcoat adhesion much more stubborn. I also asked about a plastic adhesion promoter, and they said nope, not necessary.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage


SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
User avatar
Andrew Herrick
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 262
Images: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:39 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:49 am

Andrew Herrick wrote:
tony.latham wrote:
...with a high-gloss oil-based polyurethane..


Andrew:

I wonder why a high gloss? Did they elaborate on that?

Tony


I was told specifically no satin or semi-gloss finishes because satin finishes have a wax in them that make topcoat adhesion much more stubborn. I also asked about a plastic adhesion promoter, and they said nope, not necessary.


Did epoxy come up? I might call them down the road if I do another build.

Tony
Image
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 2674
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby Andrew Herrick » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:58 am

tony.latham wrote:
Andrew Herrick wrote:
tony.latham wrote:
...with a high-gloss oil-based polyurethane..


Andrew:

I wonder why a high gloss? Did they elaborate on that?

Tony


I was told specifically no satin or semi-gloss finishes because satin finishes have a wax in them that make topcoat adhesion much more stubborn. I also asked about a plastic adhesion promoter, and they said nope, not necessary.


Did epoxy come up? I might call them down the road if I do another build.

Tony


You and I are on the same page. I was considering the same thing. Will shoot them an e-mail and find out.
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage


SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
User avatar
Andrew Herrick
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 262
Images: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:39 pm
Location: Cedar City, Utah
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby tony.latham » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:01 am

You and I are on the same page. I was considering the same thing. Will shoot them an e-mail and find out.


And thanks, :beer:

T
Image
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 2674
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby Glenn Butcher » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Anyone try Line-X?

I only ask because I drive by their plant in Huntsville AL a lot, decided to look at the website, and I found they make a product that was originally targeted to bedliners but they're hawking for a whole bunch of other applications. Folks even coat their entire trucks in the stuff.

FWIW... http://linex.com/

For a chuckle, it's worth just going to the main site and regarding the Line-X-ed doughnut...
User avatar
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 123
Images: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:31 pm
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby clamlamp » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Would you be able to ask them if it could be applied over canvas like in PMF?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
User avatar
clamlamp
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:54 pm
Top

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks folks, for posting good information here. Shelly and I know we want to fiberglass our teardrop, and then paint, or something. Hopefully, we will be near that step in late Summer.

This will be my first time with fiberglass, and I was worried about getting the finish good enough for auto paint. Think Monstaliner may be what we were looking for.

Incidentally, I once owned a Chevy Corsica, and at the 13 year point or so, the original paint was showing some issues. I spent a Christmas vacation painting it gold and black, ultimately using 12 rattle cans of Rustoleum hammer finish. Cut up paper shopping bags for masking, and used Harbor Freight masking tape. Came out great, and the hammer finish really made it forgiving of ripple, rust etc. (Sorry I don't have any pictures showing the surface detail--trust me, it's hammer finish.)

153796 153798 153797

Lived in Los Angeles at the time, and, after painting this, there were certain neighborhoods where some of the young guys would smile and give me thumbs ups. Found out later, evidently, a lot of them got Corsicas from their Grandmothers and tricked them out. It was a thing.

Sure, the black paint faded after that (Rustoleum never recommended using their paint this way), but it still wasn't bad when I moved to New Mexico four years later and, out of necessity, traded it in for the (4wd) Wrangler.

Tom
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member
 
Posts: 99
Images: 52
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 pm
Location: New Mexico
Top

Next

Return to Skinning secrets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests