Monstaliner questions!

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Monstaliner questions!

Postby BretMaverick » Wed May 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks for the info Andrew! I have been thinking about this and I did purchase some stuff off of amazon to improve the structure a little bit but I still don't know that I will actually go through with it or not. I suppose a little more structure support couldn't hurt right? At the same time, I would hope the instructions that I have are meant to build a solid, long lasting camper along with a handful of small improvements I made myself that I think should help. I have no idea if the "torsional rigidity" will be an issue or not. I have not picked the camper up and tried twisting it :lol:

In all seriousness, I've followed the instructions I have for the most part, but they are instructions I feel are meant for someone who knows what they are doing, which I do not. A lot is left out which is where this message board has been a MASSIVE help. This isn't just my first teardrop project, this is basically my first big project period. Perhaps a bit ambitious for an armature but even through I've made a few mistakes I feel like I have a pretty solid camper right now. Will it fall apart at 75+ miles an hour down the road? Will too much shaking on a trail cause it to crack? I certainly hope not but only time is going to tell!
BretMaverick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BretMaverick » Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 am

So adventures in fiber-glassing did not go well this morning lol. It's definitely above my skill level as I was quickly finding out. It seemed like I was mixing correctly, it hardened just fine, but I don't know if I was just being too slow or if Arizona is too hot, but the resin was drying insanely fast, pretty much too fast to effectively apply the fiberglass cloth. I got the sides done but there are lots of air pockets and chunks sticking all over. I was following the directions on the can of resin but I think it was just drying too darn fast. I definitely mixed too much the first time, but after that I was only mixing small amounts as it said small amounts harden slower, but it didn't seem to matter once the sun was out and blazing down on me.

I think I'm blaming the sun on this one, but chances are I was doing something wrong as well. Either way, I'm going to trust that the plans I have were meant to be sturdy! Corners are fiber-glassed at least.
BretMaverick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BretMaverick » Mon May 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Put the Monstaliner on this weekend, took this picture at the second coat, but did a total of 3 coats. I will say it looks pretty good, really happy with the results. Also happy I did 3 coats as it hid some of the problem areas better than 2 coats did. Doesn't roll on quite as thick as I thought it would or maybe I was just rolling it too thin, but after 24 hours it's looking really good right now and seems super solid. 2 gallons was more than enough for 3 coats, 1 gallon would not have been enough for 2 coats though so glad I got the two gallon pack. Have to say I am happy with the Monstaliner results!

BretMaverick
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets