byutal tape or VHB tape question

Finishes, paints and coatings

byutal tape or VHB tape question

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:48 pm

When installing the aluminum roof edge trim is byutal tape or VHB tape used? Same with the roof fan I know most use some type of caulk or byutal tape? From what I read the VHB is much better but it will not be coming off very easy.

Thanks
Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Re: byutal tape or VHB tape question

Postby greygoos » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 pm

VHB is pretty much permanent. At least with Butyl you can remove it if you have to. I had to remove some RV edging that had Butyl under it and it came off but I destroyed the edging.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:37 pm

They have two different purposes. VHB tape is very thin, 2-sided adhesive tape that holds under extreme conditions. Butyl tape is used for sealing seams and windows in RVs and trailers. You should not try to seal seams with VHB, but there are those who have used it to adhere their outer skin (usually aluminum) to their body frame.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby KTM_Guy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks,

A neighbor gave me a few feet of VHB they use in the aircraft industry, it was about 3/32 thick by 1". First thing I thought was to use it for the roof trim, wouldn't need screws to hold it down the trim. Or just a few. But it was very expensive so I'll stick with the Butyl.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Return to Skinning secrets