Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: PMF over wood questions

Postby John61CT » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:33 pm

I think the meaning of the term

sizing

as used wrt PMF as evolved in the foamie threads

is as used by those originally working as painters with canvas

a diluted mix to fill in the fabric's pores

when preparing a canvas' "ground" or foundation, as opposed to the oil painting's visible layers

https://www.thoughtco.com/sizing-in-painting-4021697
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lacofdfireman » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:24 pm

PMF started today. Went pretty well. Was hard to keep the glue from drying to fast though. I put on what I felt like was a ton underneath but it didn’t soak all the way through which I was a little surprised. The drop cloth is the Tuff Boy 8oz so it’s pretty thick. I used Titebond II glue underneath the fabric at full strength. I think once it’s all dried good I’ll probably dilute some glue 50/50 and roll over the top of the fabric. I’d imagine that should Size the fabric well. I tried to only do about a roller width section at a time but the glue dried pretty fast today. It was 70 degrees out and windy so that probably didn’t help either. Going to try and finish it in the morning when it’s under 50 degrees. That may give me a few more minutes working time. It’s been a fun trying this PMF method. Only issues have been cutting the cloth straight. It’s not going to be a show piece for sure but as long as it protects the wood this time I’m good with it.

Here’s a few pics of today’s progress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:18 am

Looks great. How many gallons of glue out of curiosity?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lacofdfireman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:25 pm

tony.latham wrote:Looks great. How many gallons of glue out of curiosity?

Tony

So far 2 gallons to lay down the canvas and I’ll use 1 more at a 50/50 ratio diluted with water for sizing the canvas. So 3 gallons total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby lacofdfireman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:02 pm

So it seems as though I’ve read that after laying down your canvas in the glue then letting it dry then sizing your canvas with a 50/50 mixture of glue and water that you can sand the PMF before applying the latex paint. What grit sand paper would you use to do this? Also what’s the best type of latex paint to use on the exterior? Does it really matter?

lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby tmclemore » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:15 pm

When I applied the pmf I thinned my glue to keep it from drying out too fast.
I used a couple of coats of latex primer before my final color coat. I did not stand before the final coat but I think you could. I also read on here somewhere that you can add latex caulk to the primer to fill the rough canvas. Then sand and apply the final coat of paint. You might try that on a test piece to soo how it works. I kind of like the rough finish so I just painted. Looks good so far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lacofdfireman » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:04 pm

tmclemore wrote:When I applied the pmf I thinned my glue to keep it from drying out too fast.
I used a couple of coats of latex primer before my final color coat. I did not stand before the final coat but I think you could. I also read on here somewhere that you can add latex caulk to the primer to fill the rough canvas. Then sand and apply the final coat of paint. You might try that on a test piece to soo how it works. I kind of like the rough finish so I just painted. Looks good so far.

Any idea what brand of latex paint you used? I do have some gripper paint that will be used as my base coat. Then I plan on at least 3 more coats of paint over that. I’m doing multiple colors so I need to figure out what kind of latex paint to buy. But maybe it doesn’t even matter.

lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby tmclemore » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:37 am

lacofdfireman wrote:
tmclemore wrote:When I applied the pmf I thinned my glue to keep it from drying out too fast.

Any idea what brand of latex paint you used? I do have some gripper paint that will be used as my base coat. Then I plan on at least 3 more coats of paint over that. I’m doing multiple colors so I need to figure out what kind of latex paint to buy. But maybe it doesn’t even matter.

I think any brand would be good. Just make sure it is compatible with your topcoat.
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby lacofdfireman » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:42 am

tmclemore wrote:
lacofdfireman wrote:

I think any brand would be good. Just make sure it is compatible with your topcoat.

This is the gripper paint I have on hand. It says it’s an acrylic top coat but not sure what that means. The Glidden gripper also says it’s an acrylic top coat but also mentions latex. I’d imagine the PPG would be the same? How do you figure out what it’s compatible with?

Here is the can I have

lacofdfireman
Teardrop Master

Postby tmclemore » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:15 am

That should work with all latex paints. I'm not a paint expert but if the label says it will work with latex paint then it should be fine. That is what I used as my primer. Then I top coated with latex porch paint.
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby John61CT » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Yes porch paint is the tough stuff
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:49 pm

latex porch paint is quite slow in curing

don't get impatient

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby tmclemore » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:29 pm

swoody126 wrote:latex porch paint is quite slow in curing

don't get impatient

sw
It took a couple of weeks to completely hard up. I thought it would never cure. I don't think I waited long enough between coats. Fortunately I did it in a hot barn. Seemed to help. However the trailer has been outside in the rain for two days and the paint doesn't show any worse for ware. Also no leaks.

tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets