PMF and epoxy resin

Finishes, paints and coatings

PMF and epoxy resin

Postby FBJcreation » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Can you do PMF over epoxy resin for skinning? Thinking of doing an epoxy base on bare wood like a “mix” as it would strength and waterproof the wood. Then do PMF on top. Thanks.
FBJcreation
Teardrop Inspector

Re: PMF and epoxy resin

Postby Sparksalot » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Why not go ahead and do the fiberglass too? The cloth is the inexpensive part compared to the epoxy.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Sparksalot wrote:Why not go ahead and do the fiberglass too? The cloth is the inexpensive part compared to the epoxy.

Ditto. Epoxy resin only over wood is a waste. It will eventually crack from expansion and contraction of the wood. Use glass cloth if you are going to use epoxy.

PMF is a good way to protect wood. Boats have used it forever in a very harsh environment.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:22 pm

I agree on the fiberglass. You're toying with a dissimilar materials issue. Fiberglassing works and isn't an artisan operation. I've always felt that poor in PMF is a bit of an exaggeration since it doesn't save much money.

Epoxy resin only over wood is a waste. It will eventually crack from expansion and contraction of the wood.

I use Raka's thin epoxy resin for areas such as the galley floor and it soaks into the wood about 1/16" deep. I've been going this route for years without any cracking. In a sense, it becomes a wood/epoxy matrix.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Westley » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:10 am

It's my understanding that plywood, like marine plywood, is much more stable than lumber, in regard to expansion and contractions.

Also, there are so-called flexible epoxies available for use on wood boats. Total Boat and West System sell it, and probably others. There is also two-part marine varnish with UV protection.
Westley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:02 pm

The game with PMF is getting a great bond between material and subsurface (as is the same for FG"in..). I really wonder why the mix of the two different systems.. :thinking:
Then of course... the benefit.. :NC

Are you thinking using canvas cloth vs. FG cloth??
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:38 pm

Are you thinking using canvas cloth vs. FG cloth??

He was on the forum for about a month last year and I don't think he has been back. :thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:13 am

tony.latham wrote: I've always felt that poor in PMF is a bit of an exaggeration since it doesn't save much money.

Tony

Perhaps now that is more the case, particularly in this forum where the latest and greatest inventions in the paint and adhesive worlds are being experimented with and applied over new unblemished canvas with no seams. The costs for doing so might actually exceed that of a traditional fiberglass layup. Back in the old days when the process and the name for the process were invented I suspect there were many more cases of builders using whatever scraps of cloth and leftover dribbles of paint that could be scrounged out of the depths of the cellar or garage. In that case, such skinning could effectively be "free" as it brought zero additional cost to the budget for whatever project was being undertaken.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Return to Skinning secrets