Finishes, paints and coatings

Raptor liner over plywood treated with "The Mix"

Postby scoopburt » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:57 am

Transitioning the a waterproofing thread
Original start of my question is here: Post #174
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

I have read lacofdfireman's post : Post #24
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Regarding his skin failure and peeling with Raptor liner on untreated plywood.

My intention are to treat my exterior panels with "The Mix" and then spray on Raptor Liner to hopefully avoid the above mentioned delamination, by sealing and stabilizing the wood. I have sent a message to Raptor Liner and of course I'm checking in the forums to see what experiences others have had.

Thanks in advance for comments, thoughts and question.

Scott

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Raptor liner over plywood treated with "The Mix"

Postby John61CT » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:58 pm

Around here
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1249312#p1249312

I chimed in that **if** bedliner is used over a wood based skin, there should not just be a thin penetrating waterproofer like The Mix applied first

but a structural / encapsulating layer like epoxy or PU.

Not only to accommodate the lateral movement / flexing of the skin under load while bouncing along the road, even more so off-road, but

greater adhesion to a more cohesive substrate surface rather than the variable / organic one of non-encapsulated plywood.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby scoopburt » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Okay. I know what epoxy is what is PU?

Your time and help is very much appreciated.

scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Raptor liner over plywood treated with

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 am

On the latest floor redo on the FS we did "the mix" over the OSB Nose piece , till it wouldn’t absorb any more , and then painted the gripper over that … No problems …
Regarding the spray liners over the Mix , … that sounds like a good test … but I can’t see it doing anything differently than the Liner over painted metal ( as it was designed for ) … But who knows , generally everything is tested here first before being adopted for use .
But then , we’ve been using the mix for over 25 years and have never been disappointed , except for the times we DIDN’T use it … :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby scoopburt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:50 am

Email back from Raptor Liner. Waterproof the plywood allow to dry thoroughly scuff the surface and spray on. I also PM'd the guy with the orange Raptor Lined "OTC OFFROAD " trailer in one of the previous threads where lacofdfireman shared his experience. The other guy waterproofed his plywood prior to Raptor liner his trailer sits outside and he has had no issues.

I will be moving forward with Raptor Liner as my final exterior finish. Should be starting my build thread within the next week.

I greatly appreciate all the input, thoughts and questions. If anyone has anything else to add please do.

I do have a question about posting? I'm using Tapatalk is there anyway to post a thread link without the picture preview? Thanks

scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Raptor liner over plywood treated with

Postby greygoos » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:32 am

I did bed liner over MDO which is signboard for exterior use. I rolled the MDO with epoxy before applying the bed liner which by the way was a cheap off the shelf product. I towed it 3500 miles and after the trip I did notice some flaking. I have since learned that bed liner which can be applied over most material with the exception of certain plastics will not have a permanent adhesion to epoxy because epoxy contains silicone. It has been suggested that the epoxied surface be given an application of primer and then scuffed before application.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby scoopburt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:56 am

greygoos wrote:I have since learned that bed liner which can be applied over most material with the exception of certain plastics will not have a permanent adhesion to epoxy because epoxy contains silicone. It has been suggested that the epoxied surface be given an application of primer and then scuffed before application.

This is what I have read as well. And Raptor Liner even stated on there Canada website Raptor Liner will eventually fail on all plastic. Which makes since it is not designed to be a flexible product.

From my reading if you need a flexible product use Monstaliner.

scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby scoopburt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:00 am

Okay so I'm obviously new to the forum. However like many I have been trolling the forum for a couple years.

I an going to buy the large kit of Raptor Liner when I finish my product and will have some left over. Please give me some suggestions of applications and preparations you guys would like to see. I will plan to do several experiments when I'm spraying the trailer on separate pieces of material and I will report by my results.

Thanks for suggestion

scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:41 am

PU = polyurethane

as opposed to epoxies

you could easily spend decades studying and testing just this one area of material science, especially urethanes vs acrylic, getting into different fiberglasses, epoxy vs polyester

all can be used to encapsulate plywood to make it more structural (rigid, stronger) as well as waterproof.

And then the issue of compatibility long term with the various bedliner formulations.

Do please let us know how things work out down the road. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby scoopburt » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 am

I certainly want to give back. My plan is to put my test piece on my tounge box and let them ride.... until they fail.

I had no idea PU and epoxy actually strengthens the wood. I thought it just made it look better....

Thanks for your detailed explanation

scoopburt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:13 am

Well used with fiberglass - which is a **fabric** - you can make do without the wood completely, so. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets