One large sheet for PMF technique

Finishes, paints and coatings

One large sheet for PMF technique

Postby frankiekayak » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 pm

If I am building a 7' wide x 11' long x 6'-2" high standie camper, is it possible to skin each side wall with one large canvas via the PMF technique? I found a source for a 12'x15' seemless canvas on Amazon and think it will be perfect after I wash and tumble dry it (to shrink and stablize) and apply to each 6'-2 x 11' wall in one piece. The question is, can I apply the canvas in one piece or is that too challenging to apply while beating the clock trying to stretch it bubble free before it sets up?
Currently building a 13' camper from an old Coleman popup camper frame.
frankiekayak
Teardrop Inspector

Re: One large sheet for PMF technique

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:06 am

Yes, it's easy. Roll the canvas on to a piece of PVC pipe. Suspend it on a rope. Attach the top couple feet of canvas. Apply glue to the next two or so feet. And apply more canvas. The canvas roll allows you to unroll the canvas as you work your way down.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:22 am

i never know when/where i'll be turned onto another idea or solution for some of my harebrained projects

the information above^ about LARGE seamless dropcloths along with the prices i found for them has opened up a couple project dreams to further dreaming

MANY THANKS frankiekayak

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby frankiekayak » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:50 am

Sweet recommendation Pmullen! Thanks!
Glad to be helpful Swoody. Here is the link to the canvas: https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Cotton-Canvas-Cloth-Seamless/dp/B01N6ADNKW
Currently building a 13' camper from an old Coleman popup camper frame.
frankiekayak
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MJWBuffalo » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:27 am

I'm curious how this project turned out? I am also building a standie of sorts and am consdering PMF as it is more DIY friendly, budget friendly and mistake friendly than aluminum.

Did that amazon dropcloth work well? Any lessons you would like to share?

Matt
MJWBuffalo
Teardrop Builder

Postby magnang » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:03 pm

Hello,

I just finished this exact step on my build (12'L x 7'W x 6'H). I used the same Tuffboy (?) Canvas from Amazon and it worked great

I found what worked best to get a smooth finish is to do 1 ft sections at a time.

-Roll on a thick coat of Titebond over roughly 1 linear foot
-Stretch and push the canvas into the surface by hand
-Apply 'sizing' (50/50 Titebond with Water) with a small roller and push out all the creases and bubbles. I wet it out completely like you would with Fiberglass..
-Apply pushpins at the wet edge, and repeat
-If you are wrapping over the top, do it while the canvas is still damp. Once the glue sets, it can be difficult to get it to conform..
magnang
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MJWBuffalo » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:20 am

magnang wrote:H
-Apply pushpins at the wet edge

Magnang,

I researched the crud out of PMF and this was the best advice I was given. There were 4 of us wrestling with the process until we remembered push pins. The whole process got a lot easier after that!

Still loads more to go but we got a good start and hope to have it wrapped by the end of the week!

Thank you!

Matt
MJWBuffalo
Teardrop Builder

Return to Skinning secrets