Clear PMF?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Clear PMF?

Postby Sanuk.Sanan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi Friends!

I'm renovating an "old" handbuilt. The interior and exterior painting is done, but I'd really like to add a stripe of Hawaiian print fabric across the sides. The TD is already skinned (PMF over plywood) and painted (latex exterior house paint), so the fabric stripe is really only for show.

Can I do a PMF with clear titebond and then clear pain? So should I use minwax poly to shellack it on?

Thanks for your help and wisdom!

Julie in SoCal
Sanuk.Sanan
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Clear PMF?

Postby Sanuk.Sanan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Or maybe I could use Mod Podge to glue the fabric on the TD and then a clear coat over it?
Sanuk.Sanan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:10 am

Either will work. I worry about the fabric fading or even the finishes changing the colors. Best to do a test piece.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:00 pm

There was a post discussing using clear tint base.
Ask the local paint store for a UV resistant product.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 6wheelsgood » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:51 pm

hi julie, this is my first post as i'm in the process of building my first foamie. i live near you here in so cal. i'm a painter by trade so i have a lot of experience sticking things to things with paint. i just used elastomeric to paint a friend's house and was stunned by how well it performed. the color was a dark grey but they have clear deep tint bases they use before they add pigment. Dunn Edwards is a great brand. it has UV blockers and is guaranteed for a long time.
6wheelsgood
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:01 am

You don't want to glue the fabric on with any water soluble glue for obvious reasons. The oil base polyurethane will yellow the fabric so use water based acrylics which are reported to dry clear. That is all the help I can give because although I have thought about having a fabric pattern on wood, I have not done it.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Return to Skinning secrets