PMF over PMF?

Finishes, paints and coatings

PMF over PMF?

Postby Patrio » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:31 pm

Hello.

I'm building my Thing http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=72216 in sections due to a limited amount of space available.

I am skinning each panel with PMF, (TBII and cloth for right now) which will be painted later on.

When I assemble, I will have seams where the panels join which I will want to fill and cover with PMF as well.

My question is, can I paint them first?

If I join painted panels together, can I cover the seams with more PMF? Or, is TBII over paint a no-no?

I have TBII and cloth on the exterior of all my completed panels. Would I be better off painting the exterior of the sections now, or waiting until I assemble and cover the seams first, then painting all at once?

Thanks!
Patrio
Teardrop Builder

Re: PMF over PMF?

Postby Tyrtill » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:40 pm

I didn’t work with tb2 much but I would suggest seaming it all together with tb2 then painting it. However do some samples and see how it works thats the only way to know for sure and will save you time and money later.
Tyrtill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby RJ Howell » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:59 pm

I was hoping some more would jump into this..

Very honestly, not something I would do. Just think of the principle in mind here.. You painting to seal the canvas, and hoping to adhere again to it.

To me, a better approach would be to build and adhere the canvas, maybe prime.. I say maybe only because I went the primer route vs. the TB route. TB has been tested a bit here and as I understand does have a sealant quality to it. In that matter, if going TB, then I would at least prime so I have something that I know paint will stick to later. If paint will later, than I can't see why TB wouldn't.

I wouldn't hesitate a moment on doing the interior this way. The exterior.. another thing.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Some of us just used paint to attach the canvas.
It works with prep.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets