Where the aluminum skin meets the trailer

Finishes, paints and coatings

Where the aluminum skin meets the trailer

Postby lfhoward » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:27 am

It’s been about 4 years since I skinned my trailer and I’m noticing that the Sikaflex caulk in certain areas is getting to the point of needing to be replaced.

You can see the bead of caulk (dirty now instead of white) that runs along the bottom of the aluminum skin and above the green military trailer chassis.

That bead of caulk is starting to give way. The expansion and contraction of the aluminum is probably the reason for the failure. Not long after this photo I fixed it temporarily with Gorilla tape so that water wouldn’t work its way under the skin.

I could easily scrape off the old Sikaflex and make a new bead, which would last another few years. I imagine this kind of maintenance is par for the course if you own a home built trailer.

Before I go ahead with that, would anyone recommend a more permanent solution? If so, what would you do to make these seams waterproof?
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Where the aluminum skin meets the trailer

Postby saltydawg » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:57 am

Getting dirty is not an issue as you know. I doubt the expansion/contraction is the issue either, its probably just the bond failing, it happens.

I would look for a uv safe seam sealant, as everyone who has worked on an old car can tell you that stuff hold almost for ever. No glue is permanent, but that is made worse by movement, be it expansion or just road vibration.

Another option is look up this stuff, Teroson 939, sawtooth unlimited is using it on his to bond the panels on. Go watch a video on the stuff it is impressive, there is a aussie company who uses it to hold the walls together on their expo trailers. It is uv stable.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Re: Where the aluminum skin meets the trailer

Postby lfhoward » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:29 pm

saltydawg wrote:Getting dirty is not an issue as you know. I doubt the expansion/contraction is the issue either, its probably just the bond failing, it happens.

I would look for a uv safe seam sealant, as everyone who has worked on an old car can tell you that stuff hold almost for ever. No glue is permanent, but that is made worse by movement, be it expansion or just road vibration.

Another option is look up this stuff, Teroson 939, sawtooth unlimited is using it on his to bond the panels on. Go watch a video on the stuff it is impressive, there is a aussie company who uses it to hold the walls together on their expo trailers. It is uv stable.

SaltyDawg, I think you just solved two problems: The trailer seal noted above, and the leaky panel join between my Jeep's roof and tailgate area that I've been trying to seal for 10 years. Thank you for suggesting this!
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets