Repaint PMF or Re-PMF over PMF?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Repaint PMF or Re-PMF over PMF?

Postby Funkycoldmedina » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:31 pm

Hi friends,

first time posting here and very new to the DIY Teardrop game. First of all, so glad this website exists. Second, sorry if this has been asked before.

I recently bought a worn down Teardrop that was finished with PMF. Eventually I plan to tear the trailer down and rebuild it, but for now I'd like a band aid solution. Basically, the PMF has seen better days so I'm looking to touch it up. Does anyone have any advice on repainting the PMF? Or is doing a whole other layer of PMF over the old job an option? Seems like there's a few small holes (less than a couple mm big) that need to be sealed so I'm just trying to figure out the best way to approach it.

Again, super new to this so I'm sorry for my ignorance on the subject. Trying to learn as much as possible.
Funkycoldmedina
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Repaint PMF or Re-PMF over PMF?

Postby pchast » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:24 pm

IMHO

I've washed/scrubbed the area and I've just patched with more of the same paint.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:16 am

Is the PMF over foam or wood?

If over wood, you can grind the holes until you get to a area where the PMF is solidly adhered and patch. Trying to peel it off would likely damage the wood underneath. You might be able to do it with a hor iron or heat gun without damaging the wood underneath if you are willing to spend the time.

Over foam, you can cut around the bad part and carefully peel it off. The PMF will peel a thin layer of foam off with it. Then patch the area with new canvas. Theoretically, you could carefully peel off the entire covering, sand and recover.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:51 pm

The big issue is that you don't want to trap any moisture in with your repair. Are you in an exceptionally dry climate, like Arizona? Otherwise be very sure that there isn't any moisture down under the canvas before you do any sort of "cover up" repair. Yes foam is better than wood when it comes to moisture, but you don't want any wetness in there festering.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Funkycoldmedina » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:00 pm

Its PMF over wood unfortunately so it seems like tearing it off will be a big job. When i rebuild im heavily considering building with foam to avoid any rot issues. I'm in British Columbia Canada which can definitely be wet most of the year. I was originally going to wait until fall/winter to patch the exterior, but thats a really good point about trapping moisture. I'll bump it up to doing it in august during our next heatwave to avoid that issue. Ill attempt the patch/repaint approach first and see how it goes. Worst case scenario Ill have to do a full rebuild earlier than anticipated which would be fine. Thank you all for the great feedback!
Funkycoldmedina
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets