Transitional Living

A place to talk about homeless shelters, design and construction. (No politics)

Transitional Living

Postby Catherine+twins » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:15 pm

I have seen some articles about tiny house "neighborhoods" for homeless people in a few locations around the country. Also, I think Walsenburg, CO, was talking a couple of years ago about zoning for tiny houses on foundations. This would be more in that line.

I often look through vintage house plans, planning for a retirement home (if I could ever afford that!). Specifically, I would want something that can be made fully accessible, in case I end up in a wheel chair some day, and have at least one bedroom on the ground floor, for the same reason. But I would still like 3 bedrooms, working on the assumption that my kids might still visit me in my old age. And finally, I would like 1200 sq ft or less. I know it can be done, as that is my current square footage, but modern designs just can't manage it. So I look at the old ones.

Anyway, that's what I was doing when I found this design. It's a duplex, and each side is only 300 sq ft. Sounds good for transitional living.

http://www.antiquehomestyle.com/plans/p ... ic-216.htm

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Re: Transitional Living

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Looks interesting; however, it appears to have a Murphy (pull-down) style bed. (Am I right?) If you happen to be in a wheelchair, I doubt that you could pull/push a Murphy bed down/up. You're smart to pass your ideas here. People here seem to look out for each other.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Homeless Shelter Design & Construction