After Two Seasons... Wising Up and Installing Trailer Brakes

All about towing and tow vehicles

After Two Seasons... Wising Up and Installing Trailer Brakes

Postby Dusty Mark » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 pm

We've been real lucky/blessed driving all over with our overloaded 2009 Subaru Forester (manual transmission) and a 1,400# homebuilt teardrop without trailer brakes these past two seasons (60 nights of camping ranging from Minnesota to Ontario to Maine.)

As I began planning our upcoming Alaska adventure, I couldn't shake how foolish I would be to attempt this trip without trailer brakes. Unfortunately, there was no good way to accurately mount a brake flange to our existing 2,000# Dexter Torsion axle. I ordered a new axle with brakes today. I got the axle for only $320 before shipping! The dealer misquoted, but honored the low price since I drove two hours to place the order.

Now I'll feel safer going down the road loaded down like the "Clampetts!" That's a 22.5' Seascape 3 kayak on our roof! We find ourselves mostly using our teardrop as a basecamp for our sea kayaking adventures. All the extra cold water kayaking gear adds up to both a lot of volume and weight. We plan a six-day kayak expedition in the middle of our Alaska trip, so we'll also be loaded with primitive camping gear.

Those rear racing springs sure do eliminate the "sag" in the back end!
Dusty Mark
Teardrop Master

Re: After Two Seasons... Wising Up and Installing Trailer Br

Postby camperRN » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:12 pm

I've been debating trailer breaks. my donor trailer has them already installed but the previous owner "disabled them" (i.e. cut the wires going to them and installed a 4pin harness) The gross weight of the original popup camper was only 1700# so I'm not sure why they were needed to begin with. I plan on being under 1000# with my finished build and I'm towing with a honda pilot so I really dont think it will be an issue. I can see how towing with a smaller car it might be a good idea.
Camper RN
Teardrop Inspector

Re: After Two Seasons... Wising Up and Installing Trailer Br

Postby dancam » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 pm

Update with what you think of the difference with the brakes!
I hear the alaska highway has a few hills :)
Do you ever hit the roof of your trailer with that kayak?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
The 300 Club

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles